Why become a member? ×

PA monitoring amp question

Marky L

Wotcha

Just want to check I have this right.. simple really. We have 4 x passive monitors of 150w @ 8ohms each. If we want to run all four of these from a single monitor, then we're going to need an amp that rates down to 2ohms of around +600w. Yup?

If so any suggestions for a "value" option? I have been snooping on ebay and Peavey seem to have done a few models that do 2ohms, but I want something with it's own volume control too wondered if there was anything else that might spring to mind.

Just looking to make sure I have my concepts straight :)

Ta
M :rolleyes:

Or you could use a twin stereo amp that can supply 300W into 4 ohms, or you could buy a quad power amp...
All you've got to do is link the inputs.

You could also make up some cables to allow you to mix serial/parallel (8 ohms combined) , but I wouldn't recommend it.

You don't need to go to 2ohm unless its a single channel amp..... most p/amps on the market are two channel or have independent power stages at least so if you were to hang 2 x 8ohm monitors off of each channel of an 8 ohm output you would be running them at 4 ohm not two....

[quote name='crez5150' post='513603' date='Jun 14 2009, 09:38 PM']You don't need to go to 2ohm unless its a single channel amp..... most p/amps on the market are two channel or have independent power stages at least so if you were to hang 2 x 8ohm monitors off of each channel of an 8 ohm output you would be running them at 4 ohm not two....[/quote]

Ah, right then. So if an amp has two power stages (one per side), then I would take the rating as per channel and not over all. I get that, but wasn't aware of that. I'd need to find something that would suit (has a pwer stage per side.. at a bargain used price of course!!)

We're running a left an right output from the desk so would connect to both left and right of the amp. Not looking to do any bridging at this point.

[quote name='crez5150' post='513603' date='Jun 14 2009, 09:38 PM']You don't need to go to 2ohm unless its a single channel amp..... most p/amps on the market are two channel or have independent power stages at least so if you were to hang 2 x 8ohm monitors off of each channel of an 8 ohm output you would be running them at 4 ohm not two....[/quote]

Ah, right then. So if an amp has two power stages (one per side), then I would take the rating as per channel and not over all. I get that, but wasn't aware of that. I'd need to find something that would suit (has a pwer stage per side.. at a bargain used price of course!!)

We're running a left an right output from the desk so would connect to both left and right of the amp. Not looking to do any bridging at this point.

Alternatively, you could make up a series box and plug two parallelled pairs in through that for an 8 Ohm load.

Also, don't get too hung up about the power rating of the amp. The difference between 300W and 600W would be 3dB (less than that in the real world, due to power compression) which is a barely noticeable difference in practice.

A

Thanks for your replies.
We certainly can mix the output for monitors, so that's OK, but they are mainly for vocals and some keys. On stage bass is plenty loud enough and no one really wants to hear the guitards!!

There is a Peavey amp on the bay that I thik will do the job. Actually there have been a few of differing specs. Also had a nose on Thomann's site and they have a Behringer unit that does 2ohms if I still take that route. Can't say I've heard loads of great things about Behringer though.