Why become a member? ×

Still playing after all these years........

Major-Minor

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='512651' date='Jun 13 2009, 10:21 AM']That brings back memories - mention of A1 Repairs that is. I used to go into Ann and Grahame's shop regularly in the mid to late 60s. The band i was in could not afford gear from Barratts although we used to go in there and drool over the nice shiny new stuff. A1 was mostly second hand gear. Do you remember when you had to go down through a trap door to view all the stuff in the basement ? The ground floor shop was tiny and packed tightly with gear and there was a musty damp smell down there. I remember buying our first PA system there - Vox I think - and later we upgraded to a WEM. Good ole days!
Of course they expanded hugely over the years. And then they sold out to one of the big chains (can't remember who) and up until recently when it shut down, it was a Sound Control store.

As you so rightly say, gear has never been cheaper than now. Having said that, if you want real quality you still have to pay top dollar.

The Major[/quote]

I remember Anne was always stood behind the counter in A1 and it was a tiny shop until you squeezed down to the cellar and it was like Alladins cave down there.
I'll always remember that damp smell and equate it with vintage gear!
There was a lad down there who helped me a lot in choosing my bass, he was tall with long red hair and always wore yellow dungarees - those were the days!
Barratts was just too posh for me with the suited salesmen, but I loved walking round their cellar too and just looking at all the shiny Fenders on the walls.
I never dared ask to try one and soon skuttled back into A1.

I think a new jazz bass in 1980 was about £250 which was a lot of money then, relative to wages and I don't know if the quality was as good as the earlier ones.
If I was buying a new one today, I would consider the American Vintage 62 jazz at about £1500 and I would love to try one sometime and compare it to an old one.

I wonder what the youngsters of today will be saying in 30 years about today's instruments and whether they will lust after a 'vintage' 2009 Fender!

I think a new jazz bass in 1980 was about £250 which was a lot of money then, relative to wages and I don't know if the quality was as good as the earlier ones.
If I was buying a new one today, I would consider the American Vintage 62 jazz at about £1500 and I would love to try one sometime and compare it to an old one.

I wonder what the youngsters of today will be saying in 30 years about today's instruments and whether they will lust after a 'vintage' 2009 Fender!
[/quote]
I must say that I think some of the modern instruments are very good. Many of my students have turned up with cheap but surprisingly good and well made basses. However I think there is something rather special (and unquantifiable) about my vintage jazz.
It has its faults (don't all basses) but it has that undeniable character that just makes it somehow special ! (or am I being overly sentimental ?)

The Major

You get used to an instrument after a long time and the main reason I haven't bought a new bass is because I'd feel bad leaving my old one in it's case.
It's really not a great bass but it's been through a lot with me and never let me down - yes I'm just another overly sentimental old Hector.