Why become a member? ×

Pickups

Don't know whether this is the correct area to post this, but hey-ho.

Pickups. I've always taken them for granted and haven't really tended to swap things about much. Right now I'm in the process of sourcing parts for a project bass, which will be based around a Jazz. Very basically, I want the bass to run passive, with a simple two volume control and either a rotary dial or switch so I can select both or either pickup individually. No tone controls. All this should fit nicely in a Jazz bell plate.

I could go out and just buy a pair of Seymour Duncans for a Jazz, but I'm looking for something different...I don't want to have to be set with two JB pickups just because they fit the routing. I want to try stuff out...sit pickups in different positions, chop the body if necessary etc.

Insofar as pickups go, I've been trawling the web and find that most aftermarket manufacturers will just describe their products[i] in words[/i]...there is very little out there by way of audio demos. I guess soundwise primarily I'm looking for some dirt and good/high output. Not much to ask for. If I went with a homegrown manufacturer like Wizard (I've got a Wiz in my Precision), what is the benefit of installing a pair of Jazz pickups over a pair of Musicman-style pickups? I do understand that different pickups sound different, but how much so? I like the sound from my Geddy and from my DJ5, but just want to try something else on the project guitar.

I can't best describe my dilemma, but hopefully you'll understand! I'd appreciate any pointers.

Best
P

I know you said you want passive, and another range may do something similar to this, but EMG soapbars would work well for you inasmuchas one rout shape then gives you access to various different internal formats..P, J, Dual Coils, switchable stuff.
Might be worth talking to makers like Wizard or Armstrong to see if they'll do a custom job in that vein.. it would mean you could experiment at will.