Why become a member? ×

Left handed forum?

josh3184

[quote name='josh3184' post='509132' date='Jun 9 2009, 03:26 PM']Was just discussing this with another from the lefty crew and we were discussing seeing if we could get a lefthanded section of basschat going? I know that us lefties have been granted a sticky in the for sale thread (for which we are thankful of course) but we thought that that was just the tip of the lefty iceberg. If we were to get a subforum going (e.g. in "The Local" section) then not only would it make it easier for lefties to help each other (gear hunts, experiences with retailers, etc) but it might also help bring in musicians who are left handed who currently don't really have a forum on the internet (leftybassist.com is the closest it comes and its pretty poor from what I've seen). Thoughts and comments welcomed :lol:[/quote]

Power to us all! :rolleyes:

By the way, when the revolution comes, can I be someone important please? I dunno - keeper of the Great Leader's Bass collection maybe :)

Seriously, isn't it about time that the most important Bass forum in the country had it's own official Lefty section?

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='509289' date='Jun 9 2009, 06:30 PM']I'm also strongly against this, and lefty players in general. They'll be wanting to vote next! :)[/quote]

...but seriously though, that made me LOL :rolleyes:

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='509549' date='Jun 9 2009, 04:05 PM']Power to us all! :rolleyes:

By the way, when the revolution comes, can I be someone important please? I dunno - keeper of the Great Leader's Bass collection maybe :)

Seriously, isn't it about time that the most important Bass forum in the country had it's own official Lefty section?[/quote]

I agree, I have wathced this site grow for a while and I have never seen a single lefty thread

after discussion with a mod, we've decided that we'll let this thread develop as a lefty thread and then we can see if it warrants stickying/further action later on. To me, it sounds like a good solution as I'm having second thoughts about a forum evoted entirely to lefties :) Thanks guys!

I guess that now's the time to reveal myself as the other party to the original discussion with Josh. I've watched the conversation develop with keen interest, but have so far avoided trying to influence it beyond expressing support - I haven't been here as long as most of you, and don't want to be seen as an agitator. However I do believe passionately that being left handed is different, despite the subtle but enormous pressure to conform. Sorry to anyone right handed who's reading this (and I'm not trying to be mean or patronising), but you really do have to be left handed to properly understand it.

2 simple examples to underline how pervasive the pressure is:-

firstly a thought about language: the Latin word for Left is Sinister; while the Latin word for Right is Dexter (so for example the literal interpretation of 'dexterity' is 'right handedness' while 'ambidextrous' translates as 'right handed both sides')...or perhaps you prefer French (Adroit - literally 'on the right' and Gauche - literally 'Left')

second, the prevalence of right handed tools and artefacts all around us - musical instruments for instance - that's out of all proportion to the number of naturally left handed people amongst the general population. Try this - if you go onto eBay's guitars section you'll typically find around 40,000 entries, but when you search on the word 'left' you typically get around 400...approximately 1%, and yet research has shown that around 10% of the UK population is naturally left handed. Or try this; I wonder how many people even know that you can actually buy a left handed piano - Google it for yourself if you don't believe me.

To make matters worse, right handed people have an annoying habit of taking the piss when you try to have a serious conversation about it, mostly because they don't really get it.

I note the way the conversation is going, and I fully respect the decisions people are taking. But I'm kinda disappointed all the same.

Here's hoping,

Andy Kerr

Don't be disappointed Andy... we're not exactly discussing world politics or religion here. It's just humour and I think the vast majority can take it as such.
FTR, my three year old daughter is a 'leftie' and has a recorded IQ of 174 for her age!! :)
The reason that proportionate sales of left handed equipment does not equal the percentage of lefty society is because most lefties try to adapt to right handed gear. Supply & demand etc, it's not rocket science.
I'm off now to laugh at Connie trying to open a tin of beans! :rolleyes:

Hi Andy, I'm seriously left handed, I play bass, shoot, write, punch and according to my wife, I have a slight pronouncement to the left in the way I walk. :)

I don't however talk left handed. I have no hang ups about being left handed and I feel strongly that there are no reasons for becoming marginalized from others because of it. I like to have a little banter with others, lefties, righties but I honestly don't believe that being left handed has ever held me back in life.

My wife is a lefty, my best friend was a lefty (R.I.P. Ade, I love you man :rolleyes: :D :huh: :rolleyes: :lol: :D ).

The main thing that pisses my off though, is that lefty kitchen knives cost up to 4 times more than righty stuff. ;)

Lets keep it light guys, no crusades coming from this Basschater.

Love Steve. :angry:

[quote name='tombboy' post='510731' date='Jun 10 2009, 10:55 PM']The reason that proportionate sales of left handed equipment does not equal the percentage of lefty society is because most lefties try to adapt to right handed gear. Supply & demand etc, it's not rocket science.[/quote]

Yeah, I know :)

And Steve has a very good point.... why should left handed people have to pay more for tailored goods?
I seriously never knew that kitchen knives were available (albeit at an additional cost) in a left handed format. I thought a kitchen knife would be asymetrical? (Did I spell that correctly?)

Just so we're clear, I'm not on a crusade (whatever it might look like) and I'm not trying to marginalise myself or anybody else. I've taught guitar and bass as a leftie for around 15 years and I'm comfortable with it - surprisingly, students (especially kids) often don't even notice until I point it out. I'm not going to go and sulk if I don't get my way - I'll deal with it in a mature way..................................................................maybe :)

All I'm asking for is somewhere that we (and anybody else who cares to) can discuss some of the many issues we face as left handed musicians. Somebody care to tell me what's wrong with that?

Come to think of it, the responses I've had since I posted the comment kind of make my point for me.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='510752' date='Jun 10 2009, 11:21 PM']Come to think of it, the responses I've had since I posted the comment kind of make my point for me.[/quote]
What point? Since I appear to be the only poster since your comment who is right handed, how have I reinforced your 'point'. I was just trying to continue the level of humour that some left handed contributors in this thread started. I offer my apologies if you have mis-construed my posts. I'm not Nick Griffin.
Personally, I would love to take lessons from a left handed tutor as it would be a mirror image for me..... just an observation and not a derogative comment. :)

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='510752' date='Jun 10 2009, 11:21 PM']Just so we're clear, I'm not on a crusade (whatever it might look like) and I'm not trying to marginalise myself or anybody else. I've taught guitar and bass as a leftie for around 15 years and I'm comfortable with it - surprisingly, students (especially kids) often don't even notice until I point it out. I'm not going to go and sulk if I don't get my way - I'll deal with it in a mature way..................................................................maybe :)

All I'm asking for is somewhere that we (and anybody else who cares to) can discuss some of the many issues we face as left handed musicians. Somebody care to tell me what's wrong with that?

Come to think of it, the responses I've had since I posted the comment kind of make my point for me.[/quote]
Hi leftybassman, I also teach and so far, non of my students have been left handed and as Tomboy has said, a lot of my students find looking at a mirror image of their fingerboard helpful. :rolleyes:

Can you tell me some of the issues you have faced as a lefty bassist?

[quote name='tombboy' post='510744' date='Jun 10 2009, 11:07 PM']And Steve has a very good point.... why should left handed people have to pay more for tailored goods?
I seriously never knew that kitchen knives were available (albeit at an additional cost) in a left handed format. I thought a kitchen knife would be asymetrical? (Did I spell that correctly?)[/quote]
Check this out.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmlQgDuoOr8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmlQgDuoOr8[/url]

[quote name='tombboy' post='510759' date='Jun 10 2009, 11:32 PM']What point? Since I appear to be the only poster since your comment who is right handed, how have I reinforced your 'point'. I was just trying to continue the level of humour that some left handed contributors in this thread started. I offer my apologies if you have mis-construed my posts. I'm not Nick Griffin.
Personally, I would love to take lessons from a left handed tutor as it would be a mirror image for me..... just an observation and not a derogative comment. :)[/quote]

Ahem...

I haven't misconstrued you and I wasn't only talking about your post. Dude, please try to read everything that's actually there before passing comment.

I'm trying to engage in a constructive and intelligent debate. I have no intention of engaging in a pissing contest.

It's now past my bedtime so I'm off for the night. To be continued hopefully..... :rolleyes:

[quote name='steve-soar' post='510771' date='Jun 10 2009, 11:58 PM']Check this out.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmlQgDuoOr8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmlQgDuoOr8[/url][/quote]Guys, look at this and nip this war of sides in the bud, if only for the children. :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmlQgDuoOr8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmlQgDuoOr8[/url]