Why become a member? ×

Why Can’t I Busk?

I have played bass for a long time but have had quite a few years gap.
I have lost the ability to busk I was ok before the gap but not any longer. My playing is just bad when I busk I have no idea what to play and don’t like most of what I do play, I don’t try to bet too clever or overcomplicate things, I and have no problem when I have worked something out or playing covers.
it may be because I am no longer in a band, I just record.
My technique is up to a reasonable standard I have no problem with the bass standards that most of us play (Jaco’s Come on come over Teen Town, Rhythm stick, Bach 2 part and cello suite) I know my way around the freeboard and have a decent grasp of theory.

Am I the only one

Hate to sound cliche but it just sounds like a confidence thing? You sound like you've got the ability to do it, its just nerves getting the better of you. You tried maybe making a setlist so to speak of what you are going to play? Try to structure it a little, might help. Obviously you don't want to be too rigid, but just so you have an idea what you want to play/try to make them flow nicely.

Also, do you play alone? How about getting a buddy to come along, maybe play a bit of acoustic alongside? Can't beat a bit of acoustic/bass combo!

And yeh, don't feel the need to go all out, what sounds complicated to a bassist and to a member of public are two different things, just get it to sound "good".

Don't worry about notes, get on the groove first, with one note. Once you've got the groove, gradually start adding notes for colour. If you are really in the groove with one note, it will sound good. Loads of notes not in the groove will sound crap.

Some good advice thank you. maybe I need to put limits on myself.

Like a said when I played the bass before I could busk no problem , whatever a drummer did I just lock in, play round cord changes and come out with suitable lines that added to the music.

I think I am having a mental block, If I play along to a drum machine or some cords I just go blank and what I play sounds like a beginner where as before instinct just took over.

Edited by ironside1966