Why become a member? ×

Got a recording/jam thing tomorrow! Any tips?

Cantdosleepy

Hello all,

I tried out for a band a week and a half ago. They've been trying to audition other bassists but have encountered general flakery all round.

( Their site is myspace.com/planetmagnetic )

I had a call from the singer/guitarist today saying that if I'm not up to much tomorrow, would I be up for heraring some stuff he's got in on Logic at the moment and have a bit of a jam with him. I obviously said "yes!!!!!"

So, have you guys got any tips for me? I've learned the songs that are on their myspace and the last jam was a bunch of fun, but it was mostly just playing stuff I'd learned by ear - a recitation more than a jam.

What are your top tips for jamming/working on new songs/getting on well with musicians you've only just met etc etc?

I'm planning on taking my jazz and my POD xt Live.

I've been playing for about ten years, am happy with my technique but am dead rusty on theory.

Any help gratefully received. Shower me with nuggets!

With something like this it is usually just as important to just have a good time and a good chat rather than bother with nailing their songs right off the cuff. As you say, they experienced some flakery with the other bassists, so just come accross as committed and easy going, then just show them how you play and go from there. Maybe they can learn some new ideas from you?

Cheers and good luck
ped

Take notes. Even if you are only jotting down chord sequences, [url="http://www.dolmetsch.com/manuscriptpaper.htm"]blank manuscript paper[/url] always makes you look as if you know what you are doing!

I often take some kind of recording device (at the moment, a minidisk recorder) when starting with a new group; that way, I can listen back (and make further notes / transcriptions) after the event. You may not need to do that if it is being recorded anyway but ask about how you can get a copy to work on.

Wulf

[quote name='wulf']Take notes. Even if you are only jotting down chord sequences, [url="http://www.dolmetsch.com/manuscriptpaper.htm"]blank manuscript paper[/url] always makes you look as if you know what you are doing!

...[snip]...[/quote]

+1

Apart from anything else, if somebody says or plays something interesting and you write it (or at least something) down then it shows them you are paying attention.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy']...[snip]...
I've been playing for about ten years, am happy with my technique but am dead rusty on theory
...[snip]...[/quote]

Oh yes - and don't pretend to know anything you don't :)

Edited by 2wheeler