Why become a member? ×

Help with a bass....

andy.

Im getting a new bass and i found one that i REALLY like, Lakland Joe Osborn. But the problem is it only has 20 frets and i need 24 :)

I email the company about my problem as was told that they would not fit it with a 24 fret neck. Does anyone know if there is any way to get them to or have a solution to my problem?

Thnaks :rolleyes:

[quote name='andy.' post='496584' date='May 24 2009, 12:27 PM']Im getting a new bass and i found one that i REALLY like, Lakland Joe Osborn ...[/quote]

You’ve got no chance of convincing Lakland to accommodate your wish. To do so, the body of the bass would have to be redesigned - as a minimum, depth of the neck pocket to facilitate fitting a 24-fret neck while maintaining a 34" scale length.

But my question would be, how much time do you actually spend above the 20th fret on the G string? Unless a substantial amount of your playing is on this region of the touchboard, is your requirement for a 24-fret neck a necessary one? The notes available to you on the 21st to 24th frets on the E, A and D string are all available to you elsewhere on the touchboard. Opting for a 20-fret neck on a bass you have identified as being perfect for you as opposed to a 24-fret neck on a bass that isn't seems almost perverse. If I were you, I’d give serious consideration to what my actual playing requirements were.

[quote name='noelk27' post='496671' date='May 24 2009, 04:41 PM']You’ve got no chance of convincing Lakland to accommodate your wish. To do so, the body of the bass would have to be redesigned - as a minimum, depth of the neck pocket to facilitate fitting a 24-fret neck while maintaining a 34" scale length.

But my question would be, how much time do you actually spend above the 20th fret on the G string? Unless a substantial amount of your playing is on this region of the touchboard, is your requirement for a 24-fret neck a necessary one? The notes available to you on the 21st to 24th frets on the E, A and D string are all available to you elsewhere on the touchboard. Opting for a 20-fret neck on a bass you have identified as being perfect for you as opposed to a 24-fret neck on a bass that isn't seems almost perverse. If I were you, I’d give serious consideration to what my actual playing requirements were.[/quote]

I use the high frets often when playing melodies and tapping and there are tunes that i play with my band that could not be played without them.

Maybe if i was REALLY nice to them....lol