Why become a member? ×

Ampeg V4BH Amp Stopped Working :(

Bananaman

Hi
I did a gig last night & made the mistake of letting the band before us use my Ampeg V4BH & it died before i even got to play our set! :)

I'm not the that technically minded so don't know what's up with it or what caused it but here's what happened-

Soundchecked with my amp going into a 1x15 cab- sounded and worked fine.
Sound man was using a DI so setup was bass into DI box into amp (passive input).

I then lent it to the band on before us who i think plugged in in exactly the same way for the sound check only when it came to the gig i noticed he'd plugged his bass into the active input and not the DI box as he should have done. As the sound man was taking a DI the sound wasn't effected for the gig but i noticed the red light (power indicator) wasn't on but the amp switched were on so realised something must be up.

I then went to play and couldn't get the thing to power up at all. Sound man checked the fuse but he said it was fine. Tried other power leads but still wouldn't work. No sound and no red light.

Does anyone have any idea what possible things could be wrong with the amp? If it was the tubes would the light still work or not?
Also, is it likely that it is this guy's fault for plugging into both inputs that would have caused it to blow? I don't understand what that would do?

I had an ampeg die on me once.

I emailed ampeg - they knew exactly what was wrong with it from a description I gave much like yours above.

I'd :

1) email ampeg
2) take it to an amp tech with the schematic and what ampeg say.

It's probably not that serious.