Why become a member? ×

2nd bass quandary

teej

My trusty '69 B&H Excelsior never fully recovered from 3 years of rockabilly with a volume-crazed guitard. Problem is, I can never send it off for the tlc it deserves as I need it to gig with. I'm having an incredible month work-wise and it looks like I could maybe afford to get a 2nd bass to fill in for a couple of gigs. Could probably go to a grand.

I'm struggling with my priorities here, and I'd like to see what you think, (writing them down always helps me anyway). First, I'm a hard-working professional in the blues/swing/rockabilly field; busking and working a mixture of venues, and often using public transport and/or squeezing into a Sierra with 2 other guys, pa, guitars and amp, and small drum kit. I live in a maisonette with a moany downstairs neighbour.

My Excelsior is really the ideal instrument for me to perform with, and so I'm looking for something to complement it rather than replace it.

So, maybe something that would record better? But at just a grand would I really get a significant improvement? (difficult question for anyone to answer, since you haven't seen/heard my bass, I know).

How about a 5-string? Never wanted one before, but just recorded a Townes van Zandt number, originally in D flat, transposed to G, where I couldn't go down to C, and the appeal hit me straightaway.

The 5-string option was number one on my list, until this morning, when I started thinking about something like the NS Wav 4 - offering the advantage of size and the possibility of practice/writing/recording at home. But, I can see a problem for the couple of gigs I'd use it on during the Excelsior's repair/setup: I don't think they can be convincingly slapped - and that's a significant and money-spinning part of our show! Anyone know better?

Any other thoughts?

Cheers...

I'd look out for a used Yamaha SLB100, it's the closest you'll get to a 3/4 acoustic feel wise, you can practise without annoying the neighbours, and you can take it on a bus.

You might not like the onboard sound but you can easily attach a pick of your choice to the adjustable bridge.

The Slb200 is a lighter weight option and packs into a smaller gig bag.