Why become a member? ×

Bartolini P Bass installation

Hi,

This is my first post so forgive me if this has been asked before (or is a stupid question).

I've got a bass project going and I'm fitting a set of Bartolini pickups to my p bass. I'm not finding Bartolini's enclosed instructions that useful.

i) Does it matter which pickup is placed towards the neck and which towards the bridge? (I'm assuming they are both the same but one is marked 8CBP-S and the other 8CBP-N)

ii) With regards to the wires. The original Fender pick up had a black wire and a white wire. The Bart has a sheilded copper wire and a thick bare silver wire. Which is which as per the Fender pickup so I know where to solder them.

Any other tips or pics would be very helpful.

Thanks

I'm assuming this is a two-half Pbass pup. My guess is one is North the other is South - there is a magnetic/electric difference but you can put either half in either place. They work as a matched pair. The best guide to position is probably the connecting wires between the two - chances are it is sized to sit in the cavity much better in one direction?

The core silver wire is hot and the copper sheild is your neg/earth. Depends on your existing wiring setup, but the hot goes onto the vol pot lug, the earth usually goes onto the back of a pot

Barts can be fairly low output, so it may be worth setting the new pup a bit closer to the strings to get a strong signal

hope it works first time!

[quote name='BassBod' post='492593' date='May 19 2009, 06:37 PM']I'm assuming this is a two-half Pbass pup. My guess is one is North the other is South - there is a magnetic/electric difference but you can put either half in either place. They work as a matched pair. The best guide to position is probably the connecting wires between the two - chances are it is sized to sit in the cavity much better in one direction?

The core silver wire is hot and the copper sheild is your neg/earth. Depends on your existing wiring setup, but the hot goes onto the vol pot lug, the earth usually goes onto the back of a pot

Barts can be fairly low output, so it may be worth setting the new pup a bit closer to the strings to get a strong signal

hope it works first time![/quote]

Thanks for the advice guys, but... I've put this question on two different forums and got conflicting advice as to which wire is hot and which wire is ground. Now I'm a bit stuck... help? :)

Edited by ShandyBass60