Why become a member? ×

Wolfram as a Practice tool

SimBass

I'm sure a lot of you will have heard of the new scientific based search engine "wolfram.com" which lets you search for facts instead of websites...Have a look, its really interesting.

Well I just noticed it has loads of music theory information which could potentially be very useful for all you theory/jazz geeks out there, and beginners who want a quick definithion with out having to bay a 4000page "Chord encyclopedia"

For example: typing in "C Dorian" it will show you the notes in manuscript/keyboard and by name...but interestingly if also lists things such as Related modes...I haven't tried it yet cause I'm at work but there is a button which will play the notes and chords too...I just thought people might find it quite useful...it works for complex chords too...it me that "Cbmin7 chord" is made of Cb, Ebb, Gb, Bbb...(it even get the note names correct e.g. Ebb instead of D!)

Anyway just thought I would point it out in case anyone would find this useful...especially for learning theory. (N.B it is still in the first stages so it doesn't know 9th chords plus)

"C Dorian"

Related modes:
Ionian mode on Bflat
Phrygian mode on D
Lydian mode on Eflat
Mixolydian mode on F
Aeolian mode on G
Locrian mode on A

Alternate scale names:
Gregorian scale 8
Eskimo heptatonic
Kafi Thaat