Why become a member? ×

Carol Kaye has played bass on so many hit records that you can't count them all. She has a wealth of experience on the session scene and is quite happy to share this with the wider bass community. 

There's a really cool interview with Carol Kaye that I found online and a particular section of the interview really struck me. She talked about how chord tones were so important, not just for bass players, but also for soloing on any instrument.

I'm a big advocator for bass players learning chord tones and ignoring the trend to focus on modes. Chord tones will give you the building blocks for bass lines and solos as they are the notes that outline the chords.

In my latest GBS YouTube lesson I analysis sections of that interview and breakdown some of the excellent exercises that Carol Kaye shows. These exercises are gold if you want to explore chord tones more deeply and get real tangible ways to apply them to your bass lines or solos. 

Link for the free PDF is under the video in the description. 

• Like 2