Why become a member? ×

Going E to C on an Ibanez EHB

Spingere

I keen to restring an Ibanez EHB ms bass E to C. I'm finding it very hard to find an appropriate blank nut so wondered if anyone has succeeded with that. Also, has anyone just put E to C strings on with the original nut?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Using the existing nut and nut slots ought to not cause any issues whatsoever. 

However if it is an issue all you would need to do is to cut a slim strip of shielding copper tape and fit it down in the nut slot with a string (place a strip of copper tape the width of the nut above the nut slot and then slide it down in the slot with a string, a bit of the strip sitting on each side of the slot on top of the nut), to make the slot a slightly tighter fit for the slightly thinner string.

But I have my 5 string tuned to G standard tuning, with a gauge .080 G string in the nut slot otherwise cut to fit a gauge .130 low B string, and I've encountered no issues whatsoever.

Nut slots are cut in an U, almost V, shape, so lower gauge strings will still sit perfectly fine and tight at the bottom of the slots otherwise cut to fit higher gauge strings.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

On 04/05/2024 at 12:14, Spingere said:

I keen to restring an Ibanez EHB ms bass E to C. I'm finding it very hard to find an appropriate blank nut so wondered if anyone has succeeded with that. Also, has anyone just put E to C strings on with the original nut?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

I've done so on both my EHB1005MS and EHB1005SMS with no issues. 

I used Warwick Black Label sets if I remember.