Why become a member? ×

This week I've been checking out more footage from the Chicago Blues gigs at Buddy Guy's Tavern. You'll find these videos on YouTube and they originally come from a DVD. If you enjoy Blues, they are well worth checking out.

In one of these videos I found a really cool tune called, 'Move On Down The Line' performed by Son Seals and his band. If you aren't aware of Son Seals, he's a really interesting character, a real authentic Bluesman. Although he can be seen singing and playing guitar on this session, he even played drums with Albert King at one point

Move On Down The Line is in the swing Blues styles and requires a walking bass line throughout. You can further categorise this style as 'west side Chicago Blues', and it includes the addition of a brass section which was common in this style.

There's a different approach when creating walking lines for Blues, as opposed to Jazz lines. You use more repeated 'Blues patterns' and keep things a little simpler. That said, there are some really creative ideas in this bass line, especially under the solos.

In my latest YouTube video, I break down this bass line and give you simple concepts that you can use to create your own Blues walking bass lines.