Why become a member? ×

German Double Bass--Circa 1880's. Sell or Exchange
£4500
Northumberland

Sell or Exchange my German Double bass. Written valuation in 2006 approx. between £4500 and £5000. Good acoustic sound and set up. Plays well. Last year the bass had a 'health check'--all OK. Quite a few marks on the body--has had splits in the past, repaired in the past before I bought the bass--non since owned by myself. Fitted with Armstrong pickup--excellent sound with amp. Bought from a classical player approx. 40 years ago. Quality bass tuners. Comes with Mooradian padded bag/case. Reason for sale?--my age. Now playing EUB. 

Would exchange for the following options: One or two quality acoustic archtop guitars--L5 style or similar. Or even quality Gypsy Guitars / Quality Banjo.  Depends what you have. Would take a guitar or banjo plus cash. PM me.

P1040939.JPG

P1040943.JPG

P1040947 (1).JPG

P1040944.JPG

P1040951.JPG

P1040945.JPG

P1040948.JPG

P1040954.JPG

P1040955.JPG

Edited by gypsyjazzer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hiya

Yes, you can see that it was originally made using blockless construction techniques from the original pics. (the humps at the top of the ribs where the neck meets the body is a dead giveaway) 

Do you know if it's had the internal "boot" removed and a "standard construction" secure neck block fitted during the restoration. 

Only way to tell is by looking internally through the F holes up to where the neck joint is (torch and a mirror job). 

Difficult to describe the neck boot of a blockless bass, but there are plenty of examples on the Web to show you what your looking for. 

If you see the flat underside of a large block it's had the benefits and security of a block fitted (plus it'll be worth a bit more) 

If its got a hooked wooden bracket that the ribs slot into (looks a bit like a thin wooden Wellington boot) then it has its original neck construction. (worth a bit less). 

Always best if it's had the time and money spent on it to get a block fitted but if not, providing the neck is stable, not knocked, no extension fitted, no cracks around the button etc, it'll be fine.

Just need to take extra card loading the car and walking through door ways! 

One of my basses is blockless and it makes a superb sound.