Why become a member? ×

Arvada DB-820 Double bass

Has anyone come across Arvada double vasses and spesially the Arvada DB-820?

it is a hybrid (wooden top) and it is offered at a good price at a shop in my country. No possibility to try as it is faraway (return policy but I’d like to avoid to ship it back).

I am in the market for a hybrid and a Hora would cost me almost double as much…

Whatever the recommendation, don't buy anything until you've tried it...and some others for comparison.

Seems it's only available in Denmark, so I'm guessing it's Chinese made for a Danish import company. Unlikely anyone outside Denmark has one. Looks ok and certainly cheap for a hybrid.  Bu, you might get a better / more interesting bass second hand ... and one that's properly set up too ; basses from Thomann etc generally need a lot of work doing to them to get he best sound.

Thanks for you answer.

Unfortunately I live faraway from any bass or music shop. The only option I have is travelling to Oslo at the end of may to try a Hora hybrid which would cost me about 3500 euro as opposed to this which costs 2000 euro.

I trust the shop in Oslo a bit more for their setup.

I am not in a hurry to buy but I am trying to not spend a fortune if I don’t need to.

Tough one... I realised you're in Norway after posting.  I think it's a long jouney in the UK if I have to go 100km to see a bass!

Hopefully someone here has played one; as just being the same construction as the Hora doesn't mean it's the same quality; some plywood basses are better than some hybrids.

I guess it'shis one?  https://www.danmusikk.no/arvada-db-820-kontrabass

But if you go to Oslo at least you can try these for comparison:  https://bassanova.no/butikk/kontrabass-1/3-4-4-4

..or come on holiday to England, we have lots of bass shops within a distance you probably think of as a short walk 🙂 

Good luck.

Thanks but unfortunately shipping costs are prohibitive from Bassanova. Danmusikk does not charge much but I am a bit unsure of their bass which is the one you posted.

Locally I have a person which would be able to perform a setup and maybe some other work on an upright but not so much more. I am in fact also considering small body upright basses so in case of anything it is doable to ship the bass for repair.

Which one is a good reliable shop in uk for basses? They might be able to offer shipping to Norway at a reasonable price more so than Bassanova. I have seen this before for products shipped from abroad at a lower cost than products shipped within Norway. Strange, isn’t it?

For new laminate and hybrid basses in the uk you can't beat Bassbags.co.uk.  But I doubt his shipping costs are cheap.

For 2nd hand, thedoublebassrooom.com ... But that's a place you really need to visit to see & try.

Great tips. Thanks!
A luthier suggested I buy a vintage instrument as they are more predictable in terms of possible cracks. I am a bit scared of that as I live in a very dry climate with also big temperature excursions (-20C to +30C). Of course temperature is easy to control but humidity less so and that is the real issue I guess. If any of those is able to ship a double bass for reasonable money than I could consider them