Why become a member? ×

Audere pre-amp for Peavey 6er

Howdy hey people!

Right, I've been looking into upgrading my Peavey Grind 6 for a while now, and short of adding straplocks, can't really find much I want to change... Although a pre-amp would be handy for that bit more 'boost.'

Looking at the Audere website, I'm quite fond of the Classic 4-band pre-amp, with the 2 stacked and 2 flat pots.

I have a few questions, put to those who have already deal;t with Audere:

-how easy are these things to install? I'm not that good with a drill or soldering iron, but I could my dad to do anything more technical.
-is there plenty of room for a battery?
-is the pre-amp affected by magnets? I want to install magnets on the cavity cover to make it easier to remove, but I obviously won't if it will mess with the electronics or pickups.
-are Audere ok to deal with from the UK? What's the postal charge like?

Finally, can anybody recommend a better pre-amp for under £100? That's my limit really, what with the current economic climate (and me not having been payed yet!)

Cheers guys,

Oliver

I don't know about the modules - I have a pair of the JZ3D and they took around 5 mins to fit with no soldering needed.

Audere ship via UPS, so you'll undoubtedly be stung for duty and admin fee. Worked out at abut £33 on both of my Audere preamps.

Magnets on the control cavity should not present a problem - your pickups have more powerful magnets.

The preamp is just a small resin sealed unit or mounted onto scratch plate.

I would have thought your Peavey was already active.

Very nice preamp, DO get the version with the z mode switch. The most difficult thing about the audare is configuring the options you want on the website. The main circuit is resin encased in a little box about the size of a 9 volt battery leaving room for errrr a 9 volt battery in most compartments ( they can be run at 18 v for more headroom). Its a neat package with small pots so fitting should be easy, soldering wise its only a the pickups. In general a very easy install, one thing i did do with mine is spiral wrap the multitude of small wires in to bigger bunches to keep things neat, not strictly necessary, I'm just like that :wacko:

Double sided tape is supplied to mount the preamp as is a tiny screwdriver to make adjustments, all in all a very nice package which sounds great and is very easy to install .

As for the magnets the battery life is good enough not to warrant it , also it has a battery indicator which tells you the remaining charge when you plug in.

Edited by steve-norris