Why become a member? ×

CAB(s) to go with my MiBass 2.0?

Hi All, 

Complete newbie in this, so please bear with me. Recently bought a MiBass 2.0 and now would like a cab(or cabs) to do it justice. I'm not a band player and will only use my kit at home , but still would like gig capability. 

The unit is rated 600w and

8 Ohms and has two speaker output jack sockets.

I've spoken to various manufacturers,  but found them unhelpful,  strangely!

I would be very grateful if anyone could give me an idea of my options - do I need to have a separate cab plugged into each output?  Can I have, for example, a 2 x 10" (or 2 x12") speaker cab plugged into each output jack socket?

Do I need specific bass connection leads from guitar to amp? Do I need specific leads from Amp to speaker cabs.

Sorry if this all seems like idiot questions  - what can I say?

Cheers

Pete

What's your budget?

Are you wanting one cab or go modular with two smaller ones?

You can use one cab or two.  If you're using a single cab, it can be 4 ohm or 8 ohm impedance and you use a single cable from the amp to the cab in either socket.  If you're using two cabs, they must be 8 ohms each (together that make for a 4 ohm total impedance) and you can either use two cables out of the amp, one to each cab, or most cabs have a daisy chain connection so you can run one cable from the amp to the first cab then a cable from the first cab to the second one.

I would not recommend getting a 4 ohm cab unless you're sure you want to go single cab because you will not be able to add a second one later (to this amp at least).  A single 8 ohm cab will result in reduced output from the amp but it's not super significant a loss, you'll still have plenty power for live shows.

I would recommend getting proper speaker cable(s), the wire used is fatter and can carry more power than an instrument cable.  I'd recommend using Speakon connectors rather than jacks if they are available on the amp and cab - it's a more secure and robust connector.

• Like 1

Thank you Neepheid,

That's just the info that I need.

For the life of me, I have no idea why manufacturers couldn't (or wouldn't) pass on advice as you did.

I think that I will do as you have done and have two

1 x 12" cabs.

I have no budget in mind but I have a 40th Anniversary Squier Precision Bass in Satin Dakota red, so probably not more than three or four hundred for the two cabs (used preferably) if that's possible. As with all things, best gear for the best price.

Thanks for the tip about the cables as well - this kind of info is most important  - experience is everything

Cheers and thanks again 

Pete

Don't worry, someone will be along with completely different advice shortly, forums be foruming!

I'd like to add that you don't need to get two cabs right away - one will be perfectly fine for home use and to be honest, I've done gigs with a single 12" in the early days of building up my rig and it was sufficiently loud.  The second cab gives more headroom (I look at it like it allows you to turn the amp down a bit to achieve the same results and give it an easier life). 

Also, whatever cabs you use should be able to handle at least half of the max power of your amp.  So for a 600W amp, you should look at cabs that can handle 300W each.  I'm using a 500W amp and both cabs can handle 400W each so they're never going to be maxed out (they'll only get 250W each).  Matching cabs isn't necessary, but it looks pretty! :D

Here's me looking all colour co-ordinated.  For clarity - the top one is actually a combo so the amp head is built into the case - in case you're wondering where my amp is!

Balaclavagear20231124.thumb.jpg.b2ff89553f6a14f1d9882475c849e43e.jpg

Nicely colour coordinated!👌

Fender Tele bass?

I thought I would add a photo of my recent additions.  The Squier Strat I bought from a Charity shop and plays really well. The Squier Precision Bass I got from a well know high street Swap shop. Couldn't leave that behind either!17119864869754429347570020331092.thumb.jpg.38ca47fd4013ba1a1f3877aca734f56e.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter the Red said:

Nicely colour coordinated!👌

Fender Tele bass?

I thought I would add a photo of my recent additions.  The Squier Strat I bought from a Charity shop and plays really well. The Squier Precision Bass I got from a well know high street Swap shop. Couldn't leave that behind either!17119864869754429347570020331092.thumb.jpg.38ca47fd4013ba1a1f3877aca734f56e.jpg

Nice pair.

The bass is a Sire D5, an interpretation of a '51/'54 Precision bass.