Why become a member? ×

Mic setup on double bass

bassace

Here is a pic of the mic I use on my double bass when I can get a front of house feed. It is an ATM350 and is clipped to a light aluminium clamp that I made. Best result, although all basses are different, is straight up the centre of the bass and just under the bottom end of the fingerboard. It is 'close-miked' about 1" from the top (front).

Don't be put off by the condition of the bridge. This is my German Blonde which was the only one available in the house when I wanted to take the pic. It's my outdoor bass.

[attachment=25287:019_1_.JPG]

Edited by bassace

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='489988' date='May 16 2009, 05:48 PM']Just out of curiosity, have you noticed any change in acoustic response with that clamped to your bridge? Or is it pretty minor considering that you're amped up when using it?[/quote]

It's all quite light so I don't notice any difference acoustically or amped. You will see that there's an Underwood stuffed in there as well. IMO, bridges seem to put up with a lot more than they are supposed to. Also remember, the sound of an amplified bass is a bit different from an acoustic one. Unless the gig is with a small group (a trio, perhaps) in a room with perfect acoustics you will never come close to replicating the acoustic sound. So just get out there and enjoy the gig. Since I had one bass, one pickup and a GK150MBS I've aquired more basses and almost one amp for every day of the week and my stage sound hasn't improved that much. I've just got a bit more headroom and my new Upton bass is very easy to play. Occasionally I go out with my original bass and GK and think 'this is nice'.

I really like the removable clip idea. I have one of these, the K&K golden bullet;

...but don't like having it on the bridge all the time, so the removable clip would work well I think.

How did you find the optimal placement of the mic? I spent some time sitting with the double bass listening to the mic through headphones, but I was still hearing so much of the acoustic tone of the instrument it was hard to judge.

Jennifer

[quote name='endorka' post='490371' date='May 17 2009, 10:13 AM']I really like the removable clip idea. I have one of these, the K&K golden bullet;

...but don't like having it on the bridge all the time, so the removable clip would work well I think.

How did you find the optimal placement of the mic? I spent some time sitting with the double bass listening to the mic through headphones, but I was still hearing so much of the acoustic tone of the instrument it was hard to judge.

Jennifer[/quote]

With the clip, the options for placement are rather limited. I put the mic through the amp at a volume just below feedback level (quite low really) and put it up the centre axis, swung it towards the G f-hole, then towards the E f-hole. It was best in the first position, so I tried it close and not-so-close. Close (1" away)won. I'd really like to hear it at a distance through the PA with someone else playing but from what others have told me the sound is good. It takes a couple of minutes to take the clip off the bridge when the mic is not used.

PS, I don't mind replying to all these queries but if I do many more I'll have to change my signature pic. It's bit scary seeing it up there all the time. It can't be very nice for basschatters, especially children.

[quote name='endorka' post='490371' date='May 17 2009, 10:13 AM']I really like the removable clip idea. I have one of these, the K&K golden bullet;

Jennifer[/quote]
How does that one actually attach to the bridge .... near as I can tell from pics, it looks like there's velcro on the mic base that must attach to velcro on the bridge ?

Andy