Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SRMD200 Mezzo 4 String with Upgrades - *SOLD*
£190
Fakenham, Norfolk, UK

Obrienp

I bought this Mezzo from a fellow bass chatter only a few months ago and was thinking I would hold onto it but I have really bad GAS for a particular fretless bass and need to raise the cash.

The standard blurb on the Mezzo can be found here on the Ibanez site: https://www.ibanez.com/na/products/detail/srmd200_1p_02.html. My Mezzo has had the following upgrades from standard: Tone Rider TRP1 precision pickup set, Wilkinson JB Alnico V Jazz bridge pickup, Glockenlang 2 band preamp, Neutrik barrel jack socket, all cavities fully shielded with copper tape, Wilkinson WJB750 lightweight machine heads (Hipshot style) and Maruszczyk flat wound strings. It also had a setup from my local luthier after I finished the upgrades. He dressed a few fret ends, set neck relief, etc. I’ve added some pictures I took while I was doing the upgrades showing the tone rider pickups and the shielding. The price of £190 is for the bass with Wilkinson Jazz bridge pickup, flat wound strings and shielding but otherwise standard; i.e. I will refit the Ibanez P-bass pickup set, Ibanez preamp and Ibanez stock machine heads. If you would like to have the bass with the other items fitted, additional pricing will be as follows:

1. Tone Rider TRP1 - £25;

2. Glockenlang preamp - £80;

3. Wilkinson machine heads - £20.

Buy the lot and I'll do the above 3 items for £110 all in.

The Glockenlang is a much better preamp than the original Ibanez unit, which is loud and crude. The Glockenlang also has a pull up passive switch (on the volume knob) with passive tone control (treble knob), which the original sorely lacks.

The bass is in excellent condition except for where I had to enlarge the bridge pickup route to take the full size Jazz pickup (Ibanez uses a diddy size). This made it a non-reversible modification but you really wouldn't want the original pickup anyway: really weak. I managed to chip some paint around the route and only had a gloss black touch-up stick, so it doesn't look very neat on close inspection. I don't notice it but make your own judgement from the photo. This is reflected in my asking price. I’ve now got a satin black matte touch up stick, so will try to tidy this up when I get a chance.

The bass plays really nicely, is ergonomic and light at 3.5Kg. It has a super fast jazz style neck. The way it is packaged makes it feel like a short scale, rather than medium scale. Great for people with back and shoulder issues.

This doesn't have a gig bag or case but I am sure I can package it up for posting/courier at buyer's expense and risk. You are welcome to come to try and buy in Fakenham, Norfolk. I am not really interested in trades as I have a particular bass in mind but if you have a short/medium scale fretless with a Jazz style neck, I might be tempted.

IMG_0826.jpeg

IMG_0827.jpeg

IMG_0828.jpeg

IMG_0829.jpeg

IMG_0824.jpeg

IMG_0825.jpeg

IMG_0791.jpeg

IMG_0790.jpeg

IMG_0789.jpeg

Edited by Obrienp
Forgot it had a professional set up.
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, tom1946 said:

Was mine, it's a cracking bass even as standard, if you like 32" scale, just buy it it's a great bass.

GLWTS.

Thank you. It is a nice bass and I am reluctant to part with it, so if it hangs around too long, I might just withdraw it and pull the frets to make the fretless I am after. I’ve not summoned the courage yet though, so it’s still available folks!

• Obrienp changed the title to Ibanez SRMD200 Mezzo 4 String with Upgrades SOLD