Why become a member? ×

TC Polytune 3 (Strobe question)

javi_bassist

Hello guys

Ok, this is a pretty dumb question and I feel a little bit dumb just asking it but... I don't fully understand the Polytune in the Strobe mode. I loved the Polytune interface of the first version but they included the needle and now I am confused. I like the tuner and I use it in Chromatic mode in gigs. However, I was setting the intonation of a bass and this happen:

So, the needle is telling me that is sharp, but the horizontal lines are telling me that it is flat... What? It happened in both the Noir and the big Polytune 3. 

I also have an HX Stomp and I tested against the polytune and... they didn't agree. I added the Planet Waves Strobe tuner to the mix so that I could compare them. I found that the Polytune was the most accurate of them all (checked it also in two different plug-in tuners and my ears). However, what happens in the video confuses me. 

From the manual:

"4.4 Strobe mode

In Strobe mode, the difference between the correct (target) frequency and the actual detected frequency is displayed by twoi ndicators simultaneously: 1. Red LEDs to the left (pitch too low)or tot he right (pitch to high)of the center LED column 2. Rotating segments in the display. The closer the detected frequency is to the target frequency, the slower the rotation. Tune the string until the rotating pattern has come to a stop and only the middle column of green LED lights up."

You did read the manual, right? 😉

Edited by Jakester
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Jakester said:

From the manual:

"4.4 Strobe mode

In Strobe mode, the difference between the correct (target) frequency and the actual detected frequency is displayed by twoi ndicators simultaneously: 1. Red LEDs to the left (pitch too low)or tot he right (pitch to high)of the center LED column 2. Rotating segments in the display. The closer the detected frequency is to the target frequency, the slower the rotation. Tune the string until the rotating pattern has come to a stop and only the middle column of green LED lights up."

You did read the manual, right? 😉

Yep! And that would make sense if the lights rotate only to one direction. However, if the note is flat, the lights rotate to the left (which they are doing) but the needle says that the note is sharp. Maybe I am not undertanding or seing it correctly, but that's what I think it's saying. If I detune even more, it rotates correctly... I find it odd.