Why become a member? ×

Connecting IEC to Powercon (stupid) question

Apologies if this is a really dim question, but I want to avoid a slow, painful death or (worse) damaging my PSU and pedals.

I have a Voodoo Lab PP3+ on my board (IEC socket), and a Powercon (Neutrik, blue, round) socket in my patchbay.

Am I right in thinkng I connect an IEC lead to the PP3, solder the bare wires at the other end of the IEC lead to the terminals on the powercon socket (and cover it with the Neutrik SCDR Plastic cover for the rear of D-size chassis connectors) and connect a powercon lead from the powercon socket to the mains?

That's how it works, right?

Obviously, I won't be doing the soldering myself, I'll get a grownup to do it as (clearly) I know less than zero about this sort of thing.

The powercon socket is this exact one
https://www.designacable.com/neutrik-nac3mpxxa-wot-neutrik-20a-powercon-panel-mount-flat-tabs-pack-of-1.html

And the powercon lead I'm probably going to buy is this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143091490432

Both proper Neutrik jobs and both the new XX series which means it can be disconnected while live. I think?

All and any input welcome and if anyone in Birmingham fancies soldering some bare wires to a powercon socket, I'll pay the going rate.

You're correct in what you'd need to do, though there may be a way to save yourself some money on having someone else do the soldering. Having a quick google, it looks like the three contacts on the Powercon socket will comfortably take crimped on spade connectors instead, so there wouldn't be a need to solder them. Something worth considering, since if the pedalboard is properly put together, your power supply shouldn't be putting any strain on the spade connectors, so no risk of them coming lose, especially if you give the spades a little crimp when they're on the sockets contacts. 

Other than that, yes, you've got it right, IEC to socket, Powercon lead to mains. And yes, those are the right ones that will let you connect and disconnect while live safely. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PinkMohawk said:

You're correct in what you'd need to do, though there may be a way to save yourself some money on having someone else do the soldering. Having a quick google, it looks like the three contacts on the Powercon socket will comfortably take crimped on spade connectors instead, so there wouldn't be a need to solder them. Something worth considering, since if the pedalboard is properly put together, your power supply shouldn't be putting any strain on the spade connectors, so no risk of them coming lose, especially if you give the spades a little crimp when they're on the sockets contacts. 

Other than that, yes, you've got it right, IEC to socket, Powercon lead to mains. And yes, those are the right ones that will let you connect and disconnect while live safely. 

Thank you!

I did look at connectors... I didn't know they were called spade connectors, turns out they're more widely available than I thought.

Just now, StingRayBoy42 said:

Thank you!

I did look at connectors... I didn't know they were called spade connectors, turns out they're more widely available than I thought.

No trouble at all mate. I'm Derby based, so probably a bit further than ideal, but if you'd much rather them soldered, you'd be welcome to drive down and I could sort it for you. Anyway, yeah, spade connectors are all over the place, and you don't need a specific tool to do the actual crimping, just a pair of pliers to give them a good squeeze. 

• Thanks 1