Why become a member? ×

EBS OctaBass Strange Behaviour

Undertone

I just bought an EBS OctaBass Blue label (which is actually a green label) and there's strange behaviour going on with it. Perhaps someone can assist or let me know if it's common. I bought it used but near new from someone on Basschat.

I set it to what in the user manual terms Classic configuration, the Normal (dry) knob at full clockwise, Tone at midway, and Octave knob around 2 'O clock (60-65%). This is because I want to hear a reasonably strong and distinct octave, as an effect, rather than just fatten up the sound a bit. I have the range switch set at High, and play up around the 12th fret on the 1st (G) string and above (in soloistic quick & slow passages). I'm using an Alembic Europa active bass and I get the same results described below whether I boost the bass a bit, and whether I use a passive Fender P or J bass (also relatively regardless of their tone control settings) even if very slightly less so. No other effects in the signal.

The thing tracks really well as expected, but I get a LOT of extraneous noise and clicks from it trying to produce octaves for string and finger noise - but those noises are virtually INAUDIBLE in my original signal and unplugged (please excuse my apparent hubris but I've been a stickler for technique for decades and my right hand muting and left hand's finger technique are as they should be). Yet it's still trying to produce octaves for the minutest of noises - yielding a sound with clicks in it, like a geiger-counter, muddying up my playing.  Very disappointing as I was looking forward to the reputed tracking associated with this piece of gear.

Now, reducing the Octave knob improves the result, but it reduces the Octave signal, defeating the purpose of using the unit.  Rolling the Tone knob off significantly reduces the clicking but it's still there with duller tone, but so too the octave is duller, sounding less distinct and less sharp, which is not what I want.

I have a Micro POG (digital I think) which doesn't have this problem - I was hoping to retain such great tracking but in an analog pedal such as the OctaBass,  I'll try an MXR at some stage but I don't feel this should be happening with the EBS.

Anyone else come across this with the OctaBass blue?  Any useful comments or advice?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Undertone said:

Seems odd no comments - folks worried about upsetting EBS?

More likely it's hard to bug fix via an internet forum! 

I then asked you questions you had answered....

Edited by LukeFRC