Why become a member? ×

Short scale half / ground / pressurewound strings

Schlippy

Looking for a set of short scale strings with the feel and low string noise of flats while retaining the high end articulation of rounds, if such a thing exists any more.

Used to have a set of D'Addario SS XL Half Rounds which were absolutely bang on the money, but it doesn't look like they make them any more sad face emoji. Heard good things about GHS pressurewounds too, but can only find a single light gauge set listed anywhere and no-one has any in stock, boo hoo.

Anybody know if these are still a thing? Super annoying that they've got like half a dozen names for the same thing too, doesn't make tracking them down any easier.

9 hours ago, Schlippy said:

Looking for a set of short scale strings with the feel and low string noise of flats while retaining the high end articulation of rounds

"the new Flatwound Short Scale bass strings are the first flat that actually feels like a flat and sounds like a round."

https://www.ernieball.com/guitar-strings/bass-strings/slinky-flatwound-electric-bass-strings/slinky-flatwound-short-scale-electric-bass-strings

I don't have any short scale, but I have the long scale set on my P bass.

6 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

"the new Flatwound Short Scale bass strings are the first flat that actually feels like a flat and sounds like a round."

https://www.ernieball.com/guitar-strings/bass-strings/slinky-flatwound-electric-bass-strings/slinky-flatwound-short-scale-electric-bass-strings

They look absolutely perfect, cheers chief, in stock in the UK to boot. How have you found them over time, a couple of the comments remark that they settle in to a "mellow" flat sound, do they maintain much of their initial brightness once they're worn in?

I'm probably not a typical user of Slinky Flats... they are too bright for me 😄
My starting point is generally with the tone rolled about halfway down.  However the reason I like them for live work is because on those gigs when occasionally everything's sounding a bit muddy for some reason or another, I have the option to get a bit of clarity back.

Anyway, if they've mellowed over time, it's less than any other flats I've used.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/02/2024 at 09:47, jrixn1 said:

Thanks again for the heads up, these were 100% what I was looking for. They feel great with zero string noise, they've bedded in over the last month but have lost none of the high end articulation and sound absolutely fantastic. Can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone looking for short scale half-rounds (or whatever they're commonly known as).