Why become a member? ×

Cort GB54 - read through - *SOLD*
£200
Bromley

Paolo85

Right, I have had this bass since I was 18 so selling it is big deal for me. Still, as I have started playing guitar as well I have decided to try shortscale and cut my bass "collection" to the bone.

This is a lovely Stingray-inspired active Cort bass. I tried it in a shop and fell in love with it. It has 40mm nut width. The neck is not slim but to me it feels supernice and fast. Preamp is low and treble. There is a push-pull knob to go passive. It is slightly battered (I have tried to capture all the issues with picture, have a look in the post below).

Also, I am sure it will be a dealbreaker for many, there is an issue with the preamp. If you boost the treble to 100%, it resets (that is, it sounds as if it was centered). In practice this is irrelevant to me as one can boost to 90% and I bet you would never need 100%. But still, be aware of that.

I am not sure how to price it. I paid I believe 275 euros 20 years ago which I believe woud be £340 in today's money but I may be wrong.

I am open to sensible offers but I have history with it, I won't go down too much.

Puckup from Bromley or I can meet in central London

20240209_131714.jpg

Edited by Paolo85
  • Like 1

Don't sell it unless you're either desperate for the cash or 100% sure you will not regret it.
I've sold a few sentimental basses but thankfully I thought about it long enough before doing it, so haven't regretted it.

• Like 1

I appreciate the good advice but please do not worry about me :)

Maybe I should clarify that it's not like I have been playing this for 20 years non-stop. I bought it when I was 18 to replace an Ibby I was not fully getting along with. A year later I had to stop playing because tendinitis. The bass sat in my parents' flat in Italy for the best part of 20 years. Then I started playing again a couple of years ago and I brought this bass in the UK after Christmas 2022.

I have loved playing it. Learnt some funky Jamiroquay lines on it, it sounds great and it's lots of fun. 

But at the end of the day, I hsve discovered I am a P bass guy and my P bass bitsa gets 90% of the playing time. Now if I were to move to short scale (I have bought one with split coil at the neck as that's the sound I go for), this Cort which is a hell of a bass for the price, risks spending another 20 years without being played much. Which IMO is wasteful and even a bit sad.

If it does not sell at a decent price I'll consider donating it.

• Like 2

That's a very nice looker.

I have a similar story with my Squier Jazz that was my bass when I was a teenager. I stopped playing completely for around 25 years (life got in the way) and it sat in my grandparents' loft. I picked it up again during the pandemic and that's what restarted my playing. It's a mid 80s MIJ so would probably be worth a bit (if I removed the poster paint 'art' on the body) and I rarely play it but I could never sell it unless I was incredibly desparate. Just knowing it is there reminds me of the old days practicing in my mate's garage, getting fake IDs so we could play in pubs, dreaming of one day getting into Kerrang or Metal Hammer. 

I get your point and it's lovely that you want someone to play it but it's very grown up and I think irrational attachments to things from the past are a big part of what keeps us sane. Good luck to you if you're sure you won't regret it and whoever does end up with it will hopefully get 20 years of playing from it. 

• Like 2

• Paolo85 changed the title to Cort GB54 - SOLD