Why become a member? ×

NCD - sorry for posting this a week late. AI Doubleshot - absolutely amazing!

Marc S

I should have started this thread a week ago - but I thought I'd take the cab out to a few rehearsals, and try it with Upright and bass guitar first.

I bought the cab from Richard Jinman on this very forum. I wanted something that suited my BSX Allegro upright, and I'd wondered previously about the Acoustic Image Upshot - which appeared to be a different approach to amps & cabs. Though I didn't get around to trying the Upshot - this cab came up and I decided to go for it. As soon as I plugged my bass into my amp head, and connected it to this cab, i was utterly blown away.

It's THE sound I was after for my upright - it just seems to have captured that natural, acoustic tone perfectly. I was a really happy man indeed, especially as its so compact & lightweight. For bass guitar players who may not be familiar with Acoustic Image - these amps & cabs are held in very high regard among upright players indeed.

I wondered how it would sound with a bass guitar, and in a very different genre, so I took it to rehearsals with a loud, 5 piece rock covers band, plus a rather punkier band with guitars, drums and brass section. I'd heard good reports of AI amps in any settings and again, I wasn't disappointed. It's a 4 ohm 600w cab, and being so small, I wondered if it would be loud enough to cope with the different bands. I needn't have been concerned at all. It was indeed plenty loud in the rehearsal studios, using my Peavey MiniMax 600w head.

Moreover, everyone in both bands said the bass sounded great and cut through really well. Both drummers said they could hear me better too. So that unusual design, with a 10" driver firing each way, plus a forward facing tweeter really works well. Of course, this isn't a "gig situation' so I'm not sure if it'll cope with the 5 piece, in a larger venue - but I'll be taking my usual rig to the next big gig, plus this cab, to at least try it out....

The only slight snag, is the cylindrical cab has 2 rubber feet for the AI Clarus head to sit on, and my Peavey head is small, but not small enough to sit on those feet. So I'll have to do a minor cosmetic mod - maybe attach a wooden block, or some velcro?

In the last week, I've got this, and got a Danelectro longhorn bass that I'm really pleased with - I am a very happy BC member indeed 😀 

20240128_122509~2.jpg

20240128_122536~2.jpg

20240128_122617~2.jpg

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 3