Why become a member? ×

Damn!

My competition orange squier classic vibe mustang is a lovely bass. It had some non-original crappy tuners on it when I bought it so I put on a set of nickel wilkinson tuners from a vintage pro thunderbird (after fitting gotoh GB640 res-o-lites to the thunderbird) which are the same design & footprint as the original squier tuners would have been, but of slightly heavier construction.

The previous owner had also put in a pickup from a vintera mustang and I made a new loom with cts pots, switchcraft socket etc, and fitted a thumbrest. The wilkinsons work really well but I really like the hipshot lollipops on my JMJs so I have been keeping an eye out for some, and managed to get my hands on a set today.

I took off the wilkinsons and replaced the ferrules, but when I laid out the hipshots on the headstock, the plates overlap by about 1mm or so. I don't want to bodge it by filing the tuner plates, so I guess I'll have to learn to love the wilkinsons.

Dayyum indeed! 

Why not make a (ply?) Template of the 2 nearest hole/gap, and keep it handy when potential replacements might come into view?  ...just a random idea...

Edited by sandy_r

18 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I don’t think that’ll help as I specifically wanted to fit the hipshot lollipop tuners. The wilkinsons currently fitted are as good a second choice as anything else.

I think you've just invented the need for The Tuner Shim!  😉