Why become a member? ×

Bench power supply recommendations

Hi

I'm looking for a decent bench power supply to test my Arduino pickup winder. 

I'm a coder, not a hardware engineer (I'm not even sure I'm a coder these days but hey ho). 

I want to get a bench power supply to test everything out for the arduino and a couple of Nema 17 stepper motors. I've brought this type of dedicated psu's in the past like this (this just shows the type and isn't one I have brought). 

https://amzn.eu/d/76ekIkm

But I keep putting off buying a bench power supply that's a bit more flexible so I can test things work and then get the right dedicated PSU at the end. I don't suspect I'd need anything too big, but I have a number of projects with three stepper motors in mind and they can draw 2A each. So 30v and 6-10 amps seems the right size but beyond that, no idea. 

I look on Amazon and get very confused so any recommendations welcomed. 

Thanks

Rob

5 hours ago, rwillett said:

I'm looking for a decent bench power supply to test my Arduino pickup winder
...buying a bench power supply that's a bit more flexible so I can test things work and then get the right dedicated PSU at the end. I don't suspect I'd need anything too big, but I have a number of projects with three stepper motors in mind and they can draw 2A each. So 30v and 6-10 amps seems the right size...

I look on Amazon and get very confused so any recommendations welcomed. 

I ordered equipment for work from sources like RS Online & Farnell (CPC for non-industrial) - they're not cheap but could give you an idea of some better quality makes

I bought a cheaper option, variable supply, unit from Amazon a couple of years back: 0-30V 0-5A; V/A/W display (uncalibrated but ok); Const V/C control; Earth strap; couple of USB power sockets. It was just over half the price of the industry suppliers but reasonable quality and it does the job - a 10A version, otherwise similar, was about £20+ more. They do a selection of formats: Portrait/Landscape, etc

HTH

• Like 1

Thanks for the information. That sounds about right for me. Any suggestions on makes or models please. Happy to spend £50-£100. 

Many look identical and possibly are. Are there  good ones and bad ones anymore? Or all are pretty good?

1 hour ago, rwillett said:

Thanks for the information. That sounds about right for me. Any suggestions on makes or models please. Happy to spend £50-£100. 

Many look identical and possibly are. Are there  good ones and bad ones anymore? Or all are pretty good?

I've bought different pieces of kit from both Tenma and Ruzizao, both have been of decent quality and continue to perform as required, the cheaper budget brands seem to come & go very quickly, so few 'brand' names seem to stick

I see that CPC have Tenma in their range, so there's some weight behind that route - there's a 30V 5A Tenma for £70+ (free post over £40, i think).  I've bought a lot of electronics parts from CPC and they're very thorough, providing good quality parts

HTH

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sandy_r said:

I've bought different pieces of kit from both Tenma and Ruzizao, both have been of decent quality and continue to perform as required, the cheaper budget brands seem to come & go very quickly, so few 'brand' names seem to stick

I see that CPC have Tenma in their range, so there's some weight behind that route - there's a 30V 5A Tenma for £70+ (free post over £40, i think).  I've bought a lot of electronics parts from CPC and they're very thorough, providing good quality parts

HTH

I have a Ruzizao 30V 5A bench psu and it works admirably.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2024 at 08:14, sandy_r said:

HTH

I've bought loads of bits from CPC over the years, their technical items have always been reliable.