Why become a member? ×

So this is the thread to show off your sub short scale basses, preferably tell a bit about them too, that is basses with a scale length that is less than 29".

Here's my current main instrument of choice, a 4 string Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass, which features a 28.6" scale length, an unusually light Mahogany body, a Maple neck with a Rosewood fretboard, and with the stock pickups swapped out for just a single EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, wired directly to the output jack socket.

Currently stringed with Elixir Nanoweb guitar strings of the gauges: .068 - .052 - .038 - .028, and tuned one half step above regular tenor bass tuning, that is A# standard tuning, as 1 half step above the 4 upper strings of a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning.

I named it "Dud Bottomfeeder" :

image.thumb.png.e5796f3b3002f62f906bf7d9a2e854a9.png

I ponder on, and likely will next time I swap strings, installing the EMG Geezer J pickup I have lying around unused as well, in the bridge J cavity, which is currently just filled with a folded piece of black cardboard, wiring it to a separate second jack socket, mounted in the hole that is currently taken up by an unused pot, next to the P pickup output jack socket.

I also own a 5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass  as well, also 28.6" scale length, which I have strung with Elixir Nanoweb guitar strings as well, of the gauges .080 - .062 - .046 - .036 - .026, and tuned to G standard tuning, that is the 3 half steps above the upper 5 strings of a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning.

Never really played it much, cause I didn't like the tone that the 2 stock J pickups gave me, trying to wire them both in series, directly to the output jack socket to remedy it, which did help some, but still it didn't quite sound right.

That is until I discovered that the neck pickup was faulty, having a really weak magnetic field at the lower strings part, which messed with the tone.

So I disconnected the neck pickup, and instead wired the bridge pickup directly to the output jack socket, and now the bass actually sounds pretty awesome, really resonant and clear, with exceptional sustain.

And it's a quite growly beast, whereas my 4 strung Mikro is more of a snappy beast.

Though I do plan to swap that stock bridge J pickup for a Gemini Pickups Mountain Lightning J bridge pickup at some point : https://www.geminipickups.co.uk/bass/jazz-bass/mountain-lightning

It also had perfectly leveled frets right from factory. 

Here it is, Poplar body, Maple neck, with a Jatoba fretboard, named "Mr. Growley- The Noodlemancer" :

image.thumb.png.ad671ab6389d168c08a3ac97c8d1ea51.png

And then I very much regret being stupid enough to sell this 4 string 28 5/8" bass, that I had made out of Warmoth baritone parts, designing the headstock myself, which I might had gone a bit too far with :crazy:, that sounded amazing, with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Strat guitar humbucker pickup in the bridge position, and a Seymour Duncan Rickenbacker Neck bass humbucker pickup in the neck position.

Mahogany body, Maple neck, and I fail to remember what the fretboard wood was, but I think it might had been Ebony.

During the time I owned I had it tuned, and accordingly strung, both in regular 4 string bass E standard tuning, and tenor bass A standard tuning:

image.thumb.png.0fabbedb77fde6e702142bc76b28bf6b.png

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

Similar to you @Baloney Balderdash, I've a couple of Ibanez 

ibanezpair.thumb.jpg.87a129048949a1ebe0ff1d5a1953fc9f.jpg

I've also a Kala California 5 String Fretless UBASS

First generation CA Solid Body
Built: May 2014
Body: Ash
Neck: Maple
Fingerboard: Rosewood - 0 radius
Scale Length: 23.5 inches
Active Electronics: MiSi

And I got Guy Pratt to sign it on the back at the SE bass bash because ... why not! lol

kala.thumb.jpg.2ea31f1b5d668cefabbdbd07901964f2.jpg

I almost forgot my Kala Exotic Mahogany Electro-acoustic UBASS (It was my very first bass in 2016 but I've not played it for a year or two ... probably should sell it)

TOP,BACK & SIDES:Exotic Mahogany

NECK:Mahogany

FINGERBOARD:Rosewood

TUNERS:Custom Hipshot Ultralite™

ELECTRONICS:Fishman U•BASS® EQ

Scale Length: 21.4 inches

kalaea.thumb.jpg.7ed25f31bf6f2ef58132176aa8285ab5.jpg

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 20/01/2024 at 18:14, SamIAm said:

Similar to you @Baloney Balderdash, I've a couple of Ibanez 

ibanezpair.thumb.jpg.87a129048949a1ebe0ff1d5a1953fc9f.jpg

I've also a Kala California 5 String Fretless UBASS

First generation CA Solid Body
Built: May 2014
Body: Ash
Neck: Maple
Fingerboard: Rosewood - 0 radius
Scale Length: 23.5 inches
Active Electronics: MiSi

And I got Guy Pratt to sign it on the back at the SE bass bash because ... why not! lol

kala.thumb.jpg.2ea31f1b5d668cefabbdbd07901964f2.jpg

I almost forgot my Kala Exotic Mahogany Electro-acoustic UBASS (It was my very first bass in 2016 but I've not played it for a year or two ... probably should sell it)

TOP,BACK & SIDES:Exotic Mahogany

NECK:Mahogany

FINGERBOARD:Rosewood

TUNERS:Custom Hipshot Ultralite™

ELECTRONICS:Fishman U•BASS® EQ

Scale Length: 21.4 inches

kalaea.thumb.jpg.7ed25f31bf6f2ef58132176aa8285ab5.jpg

Sam x

Just out of curiosity, what kind of string action do you have on your 5 string GSRM25 Mikro Bass?

I got just slightly bellow 2mm on the lowest string at last thread (and could easily go even lower if I wanted to without any fret buzz).

My lowest string though is a .080 G string, and I do utilize a relatively light touch, but I reckon that I actually could get a .125 or .130 low B string just as low, cause the frets seems to be absolutely dead on perfectly leveled on this bass (was so right from factory, no fretwork done).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash