Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Special USA 1980 & Original Case - *WITHDRAWN*
£1250
Lancaster

ash

I’m selling my old Fender Precision Special made in the US in 1980. It comes with original case. I’ve modded it as it was far too heavy with the original all brass hardware, however I still have the parts and it’s easily converted back. The only extra holes drilled are for the Hipshot tuners and these would be covered by the original machineheads if returned to stock.

The original preamp will need looking at  however as it has stopped working in active mode. I thought it was a dodgy battery clip and had that replaced but it’s still not working. It is now wired passively. CTS pots, Switchcraft output jack. The pickup is original and so are the white covers. One half of the pickup has been rewound by Aaron Armstrong at Armstrong pickups and the output matches perfectly. Scratchplate is original with small plastic caps covering the holes from the old controls - again easily removed should you wish. 

Current weight is a very comfortable 4.3kgs. 

The replacement hardware is a combination of Hipshot and Fender. The original hardware includes the dodgy preamp, incredibly heavy brass bridge, neck plate and knobs plus gold plated tuners. The original heavy brass thumbrest went years ago. The weight of the brass parts alone is 1kg! 

The bass has been gigged and toured a lot over the years. The lake placid blue finish is original but there are plenty of dings and touched up areas. It’s real road wear! The neck pocket has the matching serial number sticker, there is no extra routing to the body. It plays really well and the neck is great. The frets are fine and the trussrod turns as it ought to. No structural issues or neck repairs. There is a small shim in the neck pocket. It’s a good honest vintage Precision with a few stories to tell. The case was originally smoky smelling so I have cleaned it and aired it. It may benefit from further treatment - wood shavings left in over night, air freshener, that sort of thing. Long before I got the bass it was owned by a smoker. It has been cleaned and gigged and has lived in a smoke free environment for some time. 

The only trades I’d consider are for a Fender black and maple US P bass of a similar era or a US Musicman Sterling with a maple board.

I’d prefer personal pickup so you can check it out, however if that’s impossible I can send it in the UK only at buyer’s expense as it’s cased and I have a decent box. 

Edited by ash
  • Like 5

• ash changed the title to Fender Precision Special USA 1980 & Original Case withdrawn