Why become a member? ×

Scam warning…

Burns-bass

@peponbass - the pattern you described is very common. They tend to join the forum, then blast out 20-100 PMs to people for all of the recent WTB threads they can find, all copy-paste about their "friend" who has one. Then comes the external contact details (so it can't be traced by the forum admins), then the wifes/brothers/sisters payment details in a different currency...and then you're ghosted. I must've caught 30 of those scammers in the last 12 months alone.

An interesting thing they tend not to consider - if you get them to reply to an email of yours, the email headers will usually include their actual IP address (they tend not to use commercial webmail services). You can then use a tool like https://www.ipqualityscore.com/vpn-ip-address-check to find out exactly where they are (and it'll never match where they say they are).

Edited by digitalscream
  • Like 2

Not bass related but I was scammed with an advert on my browser for a camera. All looked absolutely genuine and I still couldn't believe a dodgy advert could appear where it did.

Anyway it was an item I wanted at a too good to be true price and I was suckered in.

Realised almost immediately as I didn't receive a email receipt but too late to stop the transaction even though I was straight on to my bank.

I felt angry and foolish.

Just go careful out there with your hard earned money.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1