Why become a member? ×

Shergold Marathon Bass MK1 1976 UK Made - *SOLD*
£450
Lancaster

ash

Shergold Marathon Mk1 1976 UK Made 

Here is another bass I’m selling on. It’s a very early Shergold Marathon in black finish. You can see it’s an early one as it has the Hayman 40/40 type neck with pinned on logo and black circular plug at the rear and trussrod adjustment at the back of the body under the serial plate.  It also has a large black scratch plate to cover what would have been a larger rout for the bigger Hayman pickup assembly. 

This is a hand made bass and has an amazing slim neck, it’s also got the best flamed figuring I’ve ever seen on a Shergold bass - just lovely. 

The bass is all original apart from the pots, these have been swapped out for a simple volume and tone control. Originally it would’ve been a stereo bass with a switch to disable the stereo. At some point a coil tap has been fitted and then disabled. The switch has been removed and the hole plugged with a plastic cap. The bass sounds fantastic and is very versatile. The Shergold pickups are powerful and articulate. They were quite a ‘name brand’ in the 70’s and 80’s played by such diverse musicians as Peter Hook, Mike Rutherford and Julian Cope. They have subsequently become a respected and sought after brand and recently revived in the UK.

This one has evidence of lacquer cracking as is common with the brand and looks to have been oversprayed. There are paint touch ups here and there too. When I got it it had binding hanging off as the glue had dried out and the frets needed reseating. Now it plays very well and is strung with D’Addario 40-100s. 

There was a diagonal slot in the board near the highest fret and a small screw hole touched up with paint and another slot cut into the binding. Not sure what this was for - possibly a midi pickup? It wasn’t impact damage as it had been deliberately created, it didn’t cause any issues however I had it filled. 

It’s a little headstock heavy thanks to those 70’s stock tuners but does balance okay on a strap. 

It weighs 3.7kgs so very light and perfect for long gigs. 

A classic UK made bass with Burns lineage.

Sorry no trades and UK only. Pickup preferred but I could be persuaded to post at buyer’s cost. 

Edited by ash
Sold elsewhere
  • Like 13

• ash changed the title to Shergold Marathon Bass MK1 1976 UK sold