Why become a member? ×

Problem recording synth and bass effects into GarageBand

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Strange but probably basic recording  issue that I am having .

I do have a topic in the effects section also which is related to this ..

The problem I have ; plugging bass guitar into audio input of moog grandmother . 
initially I did have a problem with low output , so after various trial and error scenarios, what works best is the zoom B3 plugged into the audio input of the moog grandmother . All sounds great .

The recording levels are where they should be . Only one annoying thing ...

When I record my squelchy modulation efforts into GarageBand , it all looks good . Playing back my recorded efforts however, I notice the sound is just straight bass and drums from the quick loop I recorded on the zoom B3 without the modulation effects from the Moog Grandmother . 

Can somebody tell me what am I doing wrong ? Fwiw , I can record anything seperately , whether it's moog , bass , iPad etc .

it's just that one would think that the output from the moog grandmother would include the input from the bass /zoom going into it .

Itt's a recording issue ..but what is it ? 

Thanks in advance 😬

54 minutes ago, SubsonicSimpleton said:

Shouldn't you be plugging bass->moog->zoom B3, assuming you are recording using the B3 as usb audio interface.

If you connect as your post bass->zoom B3->moog, the moog is no longer in the recording chain.

Thanks  for this ..

I 'll try this . It does sound like I've put the bass into the zoom by mistake . The reason did it the way I did , was because of the low signal from Bass -moog . It needs boosting . 
I'll check and report back. 😬

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

The audio input on your Moog is low impedance and line level; your bass needs a high impedance input at instrument level - this is why you are getting a very low signal level, which will also likely be very bass-light. You need either a preamp or a DI box in between your bass and the Moog, then Moog into the B3, then B3 to the computer via USB.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Wolfram said:

The audio input on your Moog is low impedance and line level; your bass needs a high impedance input at instrument level - this is why you are getting a very low signal level, which will also likely be very bass-light. You need either a preamp or a DI box in between your bass and the Moog, then Moog into the B3, then B3 to the computer via USB.

Thanks for this .

I thought that the Zoom B3 was a DI Box , which is why I tried plugging that into the Moog . 
I did try distortion and overdrive pedals but they were not powerful enough . 
Sounds like I need a preamp or DI box as you mentioned . 
Any recommendations for good powerful ones ( not too expensive) appreciated 😬

So just to check, is @SubsonicSimpleton correct in that you are connecting the bass to the B3, using the B3's USB out to record into GarageBand, then passing the analog output of the B3 into the Moog, then monitoring the output of the Moog while you record? Or is there anything else in your signal chain?

If that scenario is correct, then the USB output of the Zoom will only have the bass + any B3 effects, since there is no path from the Moog output to an input on the B3. But let us know if there's some other way you were expecting the output of the Moog to reach the DAW (do you have an audio interface you are using?)

You are right, the Zoom will act as a DI, which is why you get much better results when it sits between the bass and the Moog. Regarding DI, I can only recommend a Radial box as they're all I use, but they're not cheap and you really need an active DI such as the StageBug SB-1 or Pro48. There will be cheaper options from the likes of Behringer but I can't directly recommend any not having used them.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Wolfram said:

So just to check, is @SubsonicSimpleton correct in that you are connecting the bass to the B3, using the B3's USB out to record into GarageBand, then passing the analog output of the B3 into the Moog, then monitoring the output of the Moog while you record? Or is there anything else in your signal chain?

If that scenario is correct, then the USB output of the Zoom will only have the bass + any B3 effects, since there is no path from the Moog output to an input on the B3. But let us know if there's some other way you were expecting the output of the Moog to reach the DAW (do you have an audio interface you are using?)

You are right, the Zoom will act as a DI, which is why you get much better results when it sits between the bass and the Moog. Regarding DI, I can only recommend a Radial box as they're all I use, but they're not cheap and you really need an active DI such as the StageBug SB-1 or Pro48. There will be cheaper options from the likes of Behringer but I can't directly recommend any not having used them.  

Thanks again . 
Yes the setup you explained , is exactly as I've been trying it .  I do have a couple of audio interfaces, but I got a Behringher USB Mixer a couple of years ago and have been using that . .

What. I have seen on loopops you tube clip, he says that he boosted the signal with a  DI Box and the Used The Mixers Output . 
Currently , I use headphones , but am thinking of possibly using the Headphonr  Out From The Moxer Into The Audio Input Of The Moog . 
I may even go back to using the audio interface as tbh, the main benefit from having the mixer is there are more instrument inputs .

The mixer is also bulky , and as I'm playing by myself (😬) I 5hink the mixer may be overkill for my needs . 
I'll try something later ..