Why become a member? ×

Tips on copyrighting a song

petebassist

I registered with PRS a couple of years back when I wrote a couple of songs but didn't use it (at the time, couldn't figure out the difference between PPL, PRS, and MCPS and all that, but the online PRS instructions seem to have improved a lot & I can understand them).

Does anyone simply register a work in PRS to copyright it? I'm not expecting a huge income from the song (unless Taylor Swift wants to record it), but I don't want anyone to rip it off. I'll probably just put it out on Youtube with a home made video.

Advice or tips welcome.

Thanks, Pete

If you're already a PRS member registering any music your write that is "performed" in public whether that be at a gig or a video on-line should be a no-brainer. Especially since it only involves entering the title of the piece, the writers and details of any known public performance(s). Be thankful that you no longer have to provide written musical notation of main musical themes (essentially the vocal tune and any other important melodic parts) and all the lyrics, as I had to do in the early 80s when I was first registering songs.

Technically the act of performing the song is enough to establish copyright (especially in the UK), but having a verifiable on-line source like a video uploaded to YouTube definitely helps. PRS will want some evidence of the song actually being performed, so if you're not playing it at gigs, wait until the video is ready to upload and then register the song with the PRS at the same time, using the YouTube source as your evidence of public performance.

Edited by BigRedX

9 minutes ago, petebassist said:

I'll perform it at open mics as well so will be doing as you advise.

Register the songs as soon as you preform them in public. If the open mic venue is PRS licensed (it should be) then you'll be able to claim some royalties for your own performances too. You need to fill in a pubs and clubs set list for all the songs you preform including any covers. I believe the money available for this scheme is currently £10 per event divided between all the songs performed and submitted. The submission of the set lists is the important bit, because those performers who don't submit one don't get paid and money gets divided between those that do. 10 years ago, I found that despite the fact my band were playing gigs with 2-4 others on the same bill, often we would be the only band to submit a set list and consequently we got all the available performance royalties.

• Thanks 1