Why become a member? ×

Voltage doubler

ped

From an electrical PoV, that's exactly what it was meant for - to convert any 9V DC output to 18V (or 12 to 24), rated just under 1W

Since it uses voltage switching internally, however, there is a slight possibility that some equipment (connected or nearby) may pickup some switching noise, and you'll only find that out by trying it out - but discovering that would only be annoying, not destructive 

(Truetone say: "The only 18V pedal we know of that the Voltage Doubler can’t power is the Pigtronix Infinity Looper, which requires it’s own power supply" ...they don't list any PSUs with which it won't work)

Edited by sandy_r
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, sandy_r said:

From an electrical PoV, that's exactly what it was meant for - to convert any 9V DC output to 18V (or 12 to 24), rated just under 1W

Since it uses voltage switching internally, however, there is a slight possibility that some equipment (connected or nearby) may pickup some switching noise, and you'll only find that out by trying it out - but discovering that would only be annoying, not destructive 

(Truetone say: "The only 18V pedal we know of that the Voltage Doubler can’t power is the Pigtronix Infinity Looper, which requires it’s own power supply" ...they don't list any PSUs with which it won't work)

Thanks, this was my thinking - no harm in trying it i guess. The pedal it's powering takes two 9v batteries but via the power input it indicates 25v max DC, and I trie dit at 12v yesterday which sounded the same as usual - though I did notice a slight popping when engaging or disengaging the pedal which you don't get with batteries - I wondered if it's because I'm supplying it with an odd voltage (hence wanting to try 18v)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

... The pedal it's powering takes two 9v batteries but via the power input it indicates 25v max DC, and I trie dit at 12v yesterday which sounded the same as usual - though I did notice a slight popping when engaging or disengaging the pedal which you don't get with batteries - I wondered if it's because I'm supplying it with an odd voltage (hence wanting to try 18v)

It should be fine with any supply voltage between 18-25V (although operating devices at max rating never a good idea for extended use)

12V supply is probably outside its expected operating conditions - does the 'popping' noise also happen when you use 2x 9V batteries?

Anyway, it appears that using the Truetone will be ok from both PSU and pedal PoVs electrically

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sandy_r said:

It should be fine with any supply voltage between 18-25V (although operating devices at max rating never a good idea for extended use)

12V supply is probably outside its expected operating conditions - does the 'popping' noise also happen when you use 2x 9V batteries?

Anyway, it appears that using the Truetone will be ok from both PSU and pedal PoVs electrically

Thanks! I’ve given it a try at 18v and there’s no ‘pop’ and it sounds great 👍🏼 

• Thanks 1