Why become a member? ×

Value of Jazz in the 21st Century

peteb

[quote name='rslaing' post='481827' date='May 7 2009, 12:20 PM']The type of music that survives the course has never been commercially successful, at least not to the degree of Girls Aloud and the like. But it has and will survive.[/quote]

Kind of Blue has sold a few copies and is still very popular. err and it was a bit good too

I agree to a certain extent with BBC, I am in some of my life a jazz bassist, and I find that many of my colleagues in that world do f*** all for themselves in terms of making the music worth something to the listener, contemporary british jazz in many cases (not all) is very far up it's own arse and the purveyors, often led to think they are worth something by attracting arts funding instead of actually appealing to listeners, actually sneer at, and look down on music and audiences alike. I have heard many examples of british jazz that is so riven with these qualities that to me it sounds like and I would call it total sh*t, and I've been playing jazz for nearly 20 yrs, I won't name names as that is pointless and subject to taste, needless to say there are some really good purveyors of modern Jazz in the UK, a couple of my faves are Kenny Wheeler, Django bates, Iain Ballamy, John Taylor, Mike Walker (to name a few) there are more but sadly they are swamped by the endless miles of sh*te.

[quote name='leschirons' post='484260' date='May 10 2009, 12:26 PM']Have to agree with that 100% It seems to me (apart from classical music) that "jazz" is the only music that people try to analyse and that in it'self tends to distance people, like it's some sort of secret that's only available to a selected few.[/quote]

Is it not legitimate however small in number for some people to be mentally switched on/interested by music? In my mind it's every bit as valid as wanting to dance , cry, have sex, clean the house, or drive to. just because you feel distanced by peoples inclination to 'analyse' music does not mean that [i]they[/i] are limiting its' availability to a 'selected few'. Surely by your choosing not to indulge, those paramaeters are in fact defined by you. not the participants?

Edited by jakesbass