Why become a member? ×

Help Please!!! Trace Is Overheating!!!

jolly

hey guys im new to the forum but have been lurking for awhile. I have a Trace Elliot AH250 with the GP12 SMX pre and im pretty sure that its Pre Gibson. the problem Ive been having is that after a undermentioned amount of time (usely late in the 3rd set or 4th set of a gig) the amp shuts down, all the lamps are still lit but no sound but if i turn it off and turn it back on it works again but just for a little while then it does it again. i think it might be overheating and shutting down. i have checked the fan and it seems to be working and nothing is clogged up with dust and **** so im wondering if any one here has any ideas on how to fix this or what might be causing the problem and where i should start looking. also where in the hell can you find those 3 pin bulbs for the face plate, ive contacted British audio supply and they don't have or know where to get them or what you could replace them with. any advice would be very helpful.

[quote name='jolly' post='481110' date='May 6 2009, 04:15 PM']hey guys im new to the forum but have been lurking for awhile. I have a Trace Elliot AH250 with the GP12 SMX pre and im pretty sure that its Pre Gibson. the problem Ive been having is that after a undermentioned amount of time (usely late in the 3rd set or 4th set of a gig) the amp shuts down, all the lamps are still lit but no sound but if i turn it off and turn it back on it works again but just for a little while then it does it again. i think it might be overheating and shutting down. i have checked the fan and it seems to be working and nothing is clogged up with dust and **** so im wondering if any one here has any ideas on how to fix this or what might be causing the problem and where i should start looking. also where in the hell can you find those 3 pin bulbs for the face plate, ive contacted British audio supply and they don't have or know where to get them or what you could replace them with. any advice would be very helpful.[/quote]

Just to clarify, have you taken the head out of the sleeve and given the insides a good vacuuming? Is the fan running at a healthy speed?

Have a look at the fan blades when the fan is static. Are they covered in dust ? Sometimes that will slow down the fan making it less efficient. A good blast with an aerosol "air duster" through the fan will usually get the dust out.

Also, is the exit point of the fan always clear (i.e. not too near a wall, or covered by anything) ? The hot air needs to get out as cleanly as possible to keep things cool.

yea ive took it out of the sleeve and the fan works and is clean could the heat sinks vibrate loose and cause this problem? also do any of you know where i can find those 3 pin bulbs for the face plate or maybe know what it can be replaced with?

[quote name='jolly' post='481172' date='May 6 2009, 04:57 PM']yea ive took it out of the sleeve and the fan works and is clean could the heat sinks vibrate loose and cause this problem? also do any of you know where i can find those 3 pin bulbs for the face plate or maybe know what it can be replaced with?[/quote]

Certainly - if the heat sink is not in place properly, the transfer of heat away from the amp can't happen. It certainly won't be helping matters.

Have you got any specs for the bulb or at least a picture?

update its been on for 24hrs and hasnt overheated yet i think it might be fixed!!!! yea ive checked both those company out for those blubes but nither one could help. any one ever had to replace them before? what could you replace them with?

• 2 weeks later...

You could leave switched it on 'til doomsday & it won't overheat unless you're driving it - you need to be playing it at the sort of volume & length of time that you were doing when it cut out the first time.
My Trace used to do that quite often when I was gigging with it - pain in the arse. Hated that bloody amp.

Edited by RhysP

I read somewhere once that GP heads have a grounding issue that makes the amp shut down.
Might be worth looking into.

Failing that contact Trace Elliot. Despite what people say about them being "peavey" these days (which has hurt them none) they handle everything very well...
The same guy is in charge of Trace Elliot development as was the day they were bought out so no doubt they can help even now.

Edited by Kongo