Why become a member? ×

My really unimpressive bass mods

maxrossell

I just bought a Squier Std Jazz in walnut with a black PG from Lemmywinks, and what with me bring a bit of a fiddler, I'm gonna do some mods to it.

- It comes with a satin finish, which I think looks a bit too modern, so I'm gonna polish it to a gloss

- The neck is too light and pinkish, so I'm gonna shoot it with some tinted lacquer to make it more yellow-amber

- I'm gonna replace the logo with a Fender '62 one. Not that I think it'll be fooling anyone, but I don't like the Squier logo anyway.

- I may change the PG for a 3-ply tortoiseshell, which I think will match the walnut real nice.

- I will eventually fit it with better pickups, nothing fancy, but decent passive Js.

- I may also change the knobs for black jazz knobs, as the current ones are knurled chrome.

- I thought about upgrading the bridge, but I think on balance I may just fit brass saddles.

Photos to follow. I'll polish it later today I think. Hopefully it'll come up like a shiny conker.

I recommend T-cut for glossing up those dullard satin finishes - although it might be an idea to whip off your scratchplate & "test on an inconspicuous area" to make sure it does what you want. :)

If you do change the bridge, Schaller 3D ftw.

Jon.