Why become a member? ×

Gould Graphite?

Hit&Run

I wasn't aware that (budget brand) Gould had branched out into composite necks. Oh hang on a minute, they haven't!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260152948120&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:UK:11"]ebay bass[/url]

I sent this guy a message telling him the neck wasn't made of graphite, to which he responded with a single line: "The base of the neck is graphite". Nice spelling. What a toilet!

Surely this is a misleading listing? Unless Gould have pioneered a type of graphite that looks like wood and is really cheap to manufacture; which I very much doubt.

Any thoughts guys?

Guest Jecklin

I emailed him aswell.

I'll let you know what the result is.

There is something funny about the neck:

Have a look at the photo of the back of the headstock. see the join just above the first tuner?

Maybe it is reinforced with a graphite rod?

I wonder what the reserve is?

Here's his latest words to me:
" yOU HAVE A GOOD POINT!!! MY MUSICIAN FRIEND SAID IT WAS GRAPHITE, SO ILE TALK TO HIM SOON AS I CAN FIND HIM. CHHERS FOR INFO."

He concedes at last!

"There is something funny about the neck: Have a look at the photo of the back of the headstock. see the join just above the first tuner?"; says merchant.

It looks like there's a definite join there, but I'd have thought it would be easier to put graphite rods in from the heel end. I think it's just a cheapo construction method. That join could proove a weakspot.

Quite a few basses feature graphite rods in the neck, but I don't reckon Gould would have gotten into that way of making necks.

Or so I see it until proved otherwise..

Edited by Hit&Run

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='50606' date='Aug 25 2007, 04:53 PM']Here's his latest words to me:
" yOU HAVE A GOOD POINT!!! MY MUSICIAN FRIEND SAID IT WAS GRAPHITE, SO ILE TALK TO HIM SOON AS I CAN FIND HIM. CHHERS FOR INFO."

He concedes at last!

"There is something funny about the neck: Have a look at the photo of the back of the headstock. see the join just above the first tuner?"; says merchant.

It looks like there's a definite join there, but I'd have thought it would be easier to put graphite rods in from the heel end. I think it's just a cheapo construction method. That join could proove a weakspot.

Quite a few basses feature graphite rods in the neck, but I don't reckon Gould would have gotten into that way of making necks.[/quote]
For a bass at that price level, I would be very surprised if there was any graphite reinforcement in the neck. Most likely that the join is simply happened because they're using lumber that is too short for the full neck length. There are some basses where the headstock is deliberately glued on as a separate piece (such as Smith) to remove potential weakspots (anyone who has seen a Thunderbird with a snapped headstock will know them).

I would leave this bass well alone unless you're looking for something you can trash with a guilt free conscience. The timber used is likely to be any old job lot they could get in on the cheap.

I wonder if [url="http://www.ggould.com/home.html"]Geoff Gould[/url] (founder: Modulus) knows these guys are using Gould as a brand name?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='50782' date='Aug 26 2007, 06:55 AM']I would leave this bass well alone unless you're looking for something you can trash with a guilt free conscience. The timber used is likely to be any old job lot they could get in on the cheap.[/quote]

I wasn't planning on buying it, I just noticed it.

Lol - if it was painted I could maybe see how someone might get mixed up, but this is just a basic (cheap maple?) wood neck - I can't imagine how you would think it had any graphite in it.

It's some kind of cash convertors shop that are selling it, so that'll explain the lack of knowledge I guess.