Why become a member? ×

Weird problem

phatkat

I recently bought a Peavey Palaedium bass, nice guitar but a bit neglected, I cleaned it up and restrung it so it looks great sadly it sounds sh*t...!!

There are a few issues, the strings play at different volumes at various places on the neck, the d and g strings get this harmonic feedback kinda thing going on around 11th 12th frets and will sustain forever....??

Whats going on with this guitar?

G...

Edited by phatkat

[quote name='phatkat' post='479999' date='May 5 2009, 03:36 PM']I recently bought a Peavey Palaedium bass, nice guitar but a bit neglected, I cleaned it up and restrung it so it looks great sadly it sounds sh*t...!!

There are a few issues, the strings play at different volumes at various places on the neck, the d and g strings get this harmonic feedback kinda thing going on around 11th 12th frets and will sustain forever....??

Whats going on with this guitar?

G...[/quote]

How close are the pickups to the strings? Is it an active bass?

[quote name='maxrossell' post='480016' date='May 5 2009, 03:54 PM']How close are the pickups to the strings? Is it an active bass?[/quote]

I tried adjusting the pickups and they are at their lowest setting.... its passive.

G...

Try turning the amp down to a low setting, put the bass on and stand away from the amp, if there is still feedback, then there is a chance that the coils are loose within the pickups, making them microphonic. If that is what's happening, the coils could be fixed back in place with great care.

Hold the strings and give the controls a good few turns back and fore. If there is a lot of crunching then it might be an idea to spray the pots and any switches inside with switch cleaner and also give the jack input contacts a good clean.

It does sounds like the neck needs to be set up properly with some truss rod adjustment.

The best thing you could do is take it to a local repairer and get them to fix it and set it up properly, it would be well worth what it would cost.

Edited by dub