Why become a member? ×

So I put my old 15" combo on top of my 410 cab...

chris_pokkuri

... what a sound!

The combo is a Peavey TNT 115 200w at 2 ohms. I put it on top of my warwick 410 ext cab that I normally use with a 500w warwick profet 5.1. The sound was so much better! Loud as hell, and real beefy! It filled out the overall sound of the band - and I only had it on about 3 or 4 on the master volume. Now the downside is I think I may have broken my back lifting this beast on top of the cab by myself - it weighs 94lbs and I'm only skinny!

So, now I need to figure out how to get a sound similar to this in a lightweight package to prevent further spinal injury. Anyone got any ideas? Obviously theres the option of getting 4x10 and a 1x15 neo cabs but ideally i'd rather just need one cab or at least smaller ones? Is there a way of getting a similar sound from a different setup? Maybe a 2x10 and 1x15? Or even a 1x15 and a 1x12? Would the barefaced compact or bigone match up to a 410 and 115?

That seems my most likely route. If I can get a similar volume and sound as the 1x15 + 4x10 weighing in at a total of 180lbs (Thats way heavier than me!) from a lightweight setup of LH1000 + Bigone weighing at under half that, it would be amazing! And I would be very happy :) <--- See!

[quote name='chris_pokkuri' post='479714' date='May 5 2009, 05:04 AM']That seems my most likely route. If I can get a similar volume and sound as the 1x15 + 4x10 weighing in at a total of 180lbs (Thats way heavier than me!) from a lightweight setup of LH1000 + Bigone weighing at under half that, it would be amazing! And I would be very happy :) <--- See![/quote]
Don't get hung up on the 1x15/4x10 route. When you combine virtually any two cabs the sum will sound better than either on its own. All things considered the 1x15/4x10 is a poor combination, albeit a popular one. As to why it's so popular, I repeat : [i]When you combine virtually any two cabs the sum will sound better than either on its own.[/i]

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='479909' date='May 5 2009, 02:01 PM']Don't get hung up on the 1x15/4x10 route. When you combine virtually any two cabs the sum will sound better than either on its own.[/quote]

I'm definately not hung up on a 1x15/4x10 combination (hence my plan for the BigOne) - which is why I asked for alternatives to that combination that would fill out the sound of the band in a way that I can't get from my current setup. I think you are right in that I just liked the improvement in sound from using just the 4x10.

Cheers!

[quote name='chris_pokkuri' post='480083' date='May 5 2009, 11:54 AM']I'm definately not hung up on a 1x15/4x10 combination (hence my plan for the BigOne) - which is why I asked for alternatives to that combination that would fill out the sound of the band in a way that I can't get from my current setup. I think you are right in that I just liked the improvement in sound from using just the 4x10.

Cheers![/quote]If you want to add to a 4x10 I'd do a 2x10, preferably loaded with the same drivers, with impedance twice that of the 4x10. That will give you a system scalable for low, medium and high output requirements.