Why become a member? ×

Beware - not all Speakon connectors are the same

tuck1s

14 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Interesting that you say 25 watts when many guitar amps and a few valve/ tube amps for bass are rated at 30 watts. I will admit that I do not know the original spec on Jacks and Plugs  but I know many are rated at 500mA @ 50V. That ties in with 25 watts. 

I have seen it argued that if the electric guitar were invented today, the Jack would not be the connector of choice. The case for a different connector between amp and speaker is even more compelling. I must admit that I had never considered flammability as an issue. 

As a self-confessed nerd, I did consider buying the IEC standard but at just over £400/$450US it is a luxury I can do without. That would go a long way to a Mesa Subway😀.

I have seen it suggested that not using compliant equipment might cause problems with Public Liability Insurance(I don’t know what it is called in the USA). Have you heard ?

25 watts, 30 watts even 50 watts or 100 watts, it depends on the rated load impedance. It also depends on the interpretation and if the product is classified for ordinary or instructed users. There is a lot of gray area, which varies by region. Just because it's allowed in one region doesn't mean all regions.

The IEC 62368 standard is just about the most miserable reading ever. I feel awful whenever I open the manual, and if it wasn't for all the politics within (and between) the IEC member bodies, it could have been simplified to 1/4 of its content.

Compliance is generally required in order to import goods into a foreign country. Each country or region is different and those differences are contained within the "National Differences" section of the reports, things that are specific to each region. For example, China recognizes the IEC 62368 standard but has (many) additional requirements regarding labeling. Japan has labeling requirements but also the submission of Hipot test logs bu serial number. The Nordic countries have additional labeling language requirements in addition to the EU. It goes on and on, in nauseating detail.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

821yyd.jpg.b689b495e489209669f3d600f9b9e7ed.jpg

Two on the top and one on each ear.

This has been really interesting at the level of detail provided in this thread (thank you @agedhorse). However I can easily see how the full specs would become soul-destroying. 

What are the practical implications for home-brew equipment? 

Edited by Richard R
Typo