Why become a member? ×

1994 Fender CIJ Blue Fotoflame Precision Bass with Babicz bridge - Price drop £600
£800
Widnes

M-Bass-M

October 2023 update

Unfortunately I've had a change in personal circumstances which means that I really need to shift this bass. I've dropped the sale price to £600 accordingly.

Thanks!

------------------

I may end up regretting selling this bass, but I sadly have no space for it in my collection!

Like many, my first bass was an Encore P-Bass in a delightful Candy Apple red. After enough saving - helped by generous Christmas and Birthday gifts - I bought my first "real" Fender Precision from my local Dawsons, and this was the bass that saw me through my teenage years. It was a great looking and great playing bass, yet in my infinte wisdom I sold it. I can't recall what replaced it - it could have been a Cowpoke Precision, or possibly a Status Shark - but I know that I came to regret selling it. So when I had the opportunity to buy another one in recent years, I just *had* to have it!

So why am I selling it now?

The simple answer is that I treated myself to a SIMS custom shop bass with a real flame maple blueburst finish, tort scratchplate, graphite neck and Quad pickups, so this bass really is redundant!

The serial number places it as a 1994/95 made bass, and for those unaware the blue fotoflame finish is some sort of lacquer - i.e. it's not a real stain over a flame maple finish. The lacquer is prone to cracking near points of stress - like the neck plate and the bridge, and while there's some bit of cracking, I've been told that this is actually quite mild compared with other basses this age. There are also a few other superficial scratches and dents which I've tried to photo.

The bass originally came with a white scratchplate (which I don't have), but I think the tort looks much better - but the fit is not 100% perfect so when it is removed it is prone to scratching the very side of the neck - which I've shown in the photos.

The bass went in for a repair about a month ago to have some loose connections in the electrics sorted, and it also had a full set-up and neck realignment at the same time.

Collection from Widnes is naturally preferred, but I'm happy to ship if you arrange for courier collection. It will ship in a padded gig bag as well as cardboard box that I've received other bass guitars in.

The weight per my bathroom scales is 4.3kg / 9.5lbs.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

Edited by M-Bass-M
Price drop - main post edited Oct 2023
  • Like 10

• M-Bass-M changed the title to 1994 Fender CIJ Blue Fotoflame Precision Bass with Babicz bridge - Price drop £700

I had one and regret selling it but these are well made Basses, for your info

One thing is for sure, their's nothing 'plain Jane' about these guitars. For those of you who don't know about "Foto-Flame" Fenders, they are unique. These Fenders are made of basswood and have a maple or alder cap. Whatever folks think, these Japanese Fenders were extremely well made at the Fuji-gen Plant. I traded emails with a few Foto-Flame owners, and they said they would never sell them. Made in Japan in 1994-95, the finish is a photographic film re-creation of wood flame (thus the name Foto) which is laminated on the body and neck. According to Jeff at xhefri's Guitars, Fender worked in connection with some photographic corporation. "I have heard both Polaroid and Kodak, but most likely Fuji"

• Like 3

• M-Bass-M changed the title to 1994 Fender CIJ Blue Fotoflame Precision Bass with Babicz bridge - Price drop £600