Why become a member? ×

Nathan East & Trombone Shorty - Fire On The Bayou

greghagger

You may have seen my lesson a few weeks ago on George Porter Jr.'s funky bass line from 'Fire On The Bayou'. Well, since then I've stumbled across another version of this Meters classic by Trombone Shorty. This is a live recording from a performance at the White House and Shorty's solo in this tune is incredible.

This Trombone Shorty version features Nathan East on bass and as expected, his bass line is class from start to finish with awesome slides, pops, harmonics and pentatonic licks.

I transcribed the bass line last week to fill some time when flying out to Norway for a gig. I didn't intend to make a lesson on this bass line but it's too good not to share. 

So I made a video which is more of an analysis lesson and in it I also compare some of the differences between this bass line and the original bass line.

This bass line is definitely more suited for 5-string bass but you can still get a lot out of the lesson if you only play 4-string.

Find out more in my latest YouTube video and download the free PDF transcription of Nathan East’s bass line. 

• 1 month later...

Great video, Greg!

Nathan East was my original bass hero. Here's a few underappreciated/unseranalysed moments you might like:

This Clapton live album is great all the way through but Bell Bottom Blues into Change the World is full of beautiful bass moments (and Billy Preston wailing over the top as well!)

This live version of Easy Lover is pretty straight, but there's a moment at 2.53 where he changes it up and another at 4.30 where he straightens up the groove and it's so cool. Daryl Steurmer's solo is ace too.

Finally, this is a recent release - the change in bassline at 2.50 is awesome.

I could go on... but thanks again for the transcription and I hope there's something here you'll enjoy.

On 25/08/2023 at 04:47, ajwillshire said:

Great video, Greg!

Nathan East was my original bass hero. Here's a few underappreciated/unseranalysed moments you might like:

This Clapton live album is great all the way through but Bell Bottom Blues into Change the World is full of beautiful bass moments (and Billy Preston wailing over the top as well!)

This live version of Easy Lover is pretty straight, but there's a moment at 2.53 where he changes it up and another at 4.30 where he straightens up the groove and it's so cool. Daryl Steurmer's solo is ace too.

Finally, this is a recent release - the change in bassline at 2.50 is awesome.

I could go on... but thanks again for the transcription and I hope there's something here you'll enjoy.

Thanks so much, great shares. I may well make a lesson on one/all of these. 

I also really loved Nathan East when I first started playing in the late 80’s when it seemed he was playing on everything. Probably was! 

Cheers

• Like 1