Why become a member? ×

3 Leaf Audio - Chromatron - *WITHDRAWN*
£543
London

admiralchew

WITHDRAWN - SENDING TO GET IT REFINISHED

As part of a slightly convoluted tale, I purchased a 3 Leaf Chromatron from Talkbass for another BC member at the start of this year. We ended up not completing the sale and I already have one (albeit a lot more beaten up) so I'm making it available here for the price I paid.

The Chromatron is widely considered one of the best, if not the best, filter pedals ever. It took Spencer Doren 10 years of refining his existing designs like the Wonderlove and Groove Regulator to come up with the Chromatron. For a long while it was my white whale pedal. To see why it's so highly regarded, it's worth watching Zach Rizer's demo:

One of the reasons this was a white whale pedal for me, in addition to it just sounding brilliant and being highly flexible, is that they are extremely rare and difficult to get hold of (hence me having to import a used one from the US, with all of the enjoyable import VAT costs that entails). For context, it's not been made in a few years because there hasn't been a manufacturer able to consistently churn out enclosures to Spencer's high standards (and those standards are very high - I've got several of his pedals and his preamp in my bass and all are absolutely top drawer). 3 Leaf have just moved to a new release model so it's not currently on the website. It was still listed two or three weeks ago and the RRP had steadily increased to $499, notwithstanding availability is currently theoretical. 

Like many of the units, the lettering had started peeling away, although compared to some others that I've seen the lettering is more intact than average. The pedal works perfectly (it sounds fantastic!) but it's not boxed and it's missing a screw (I have a lead on a new one now). Clear nail polish had been applied over the remaining lettering to ensure the controls remained visible (this is more apparent in some lights than others, as contrasted in the first and final photos). Still, it's in better condition than mine, which is currently away having a facelift having shed the majority of its labels, rendering it a CHRCM^TRON and a question of guesswork as to which cable goes where.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions (or to chat all things pedals). I've listed this for what it cost me to get hold of it and I'd probably rather keep it than lose out while trying to do a good deed. It is a lot to pay for a pedal - although I think this is one of a narrow category that is worth it - and I'm still a bit uncomfortable asking that much. Accordingly, I'd be willing to consider a trade for one-off Cog pedals, a Cog T-70 or T-65 plus cash or something Star Warsy. I'm also usually on the lookout for Iron Ether pedals, particularly the Dubterrograph.

Chromatron1.thumb.jpg.5dbf2d184bdcd094c50de725e7d807bf.jpg

Chromatron2.thumb.jpg.62d59d1c40b488aad1ae850a41be48d5.jpg

Chromatron3.thumb.jpg.1ec1230194616ca229ac160db2af37a9.jpg

Chromatron4.thumb.jpg.d51086c24e195e33e80d32f61158321d.jpg

Chromatron5.thumb.jpg.abef28088502970c6d37971b38585da3.jpg

Chromatron6.thumb.jpg.2bfd43e3efd63b400cccd66e51b492cf.jpg

Chromatron7.thumb.jpg.a6b1d5d489ea87157372e11360307228.jpg

Edited by admiralchew
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, andybassdoyle said:

Quite likely the best filter out there 

glwts 

Thanks. I agree. 3 Leaf make some cracking filters but this is easily the best of the bunch for me.

I’ve had various Protons, a Lovetone Meatball clone, the Triungulo Barbanera, and a couple of Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxes, but the Chromatron always finds its way back. The FX loop and feature set really sets it apart as being incredibly flexible.

• admiralchew changed the title to WITHDRAWN FOR REFINISHING - 3 Leaf Audio - Chromatron