Why become a member? ×

Fender Bassman 1200

Pow_22

As some of you may know ive been after one of these old hybrid heads for a while, ever since i saw the Zutons at Jools Holland and their bass player, Russ Pritchard, played one.  They were originally branded Sunn but overheating issues apparently plagues these and the rebadged Fender ones had additional heat sinks and ventilation added to sort the issue.

Finally one came up in need of a good service which i jumped on.  Im really enjoying the amp now it has had some much needed TLC but the power on it is phenomenal.  I believe running it through my Ampeg 2x12 4ohm cab the head can deliver around 800w which is far more than i need but tone wise its great.  The amp has 2 channels - Ch1 is a clean type channel using 1 of the 12ax7s, channel 2 (which cant be used on its own randomly) is an overdrive type channel using the 2nd 12AX7.  Both channels have input volume, channel 2 has a gain and then there is a blend knob so plenty of options.

I do find the the pre amp is clipped easily even at lower levels so im toying with the idea of swapping the 12AX7's for some 12AU7's to tame it a little bit.

Anybody else use one of these or the little brother of it, the TB600?  Any EQ tips?  Anyone done much valve rolling in one?  Interested to hear anyone's experience with these