Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF800 anyone played one - does it sound like the SGT-DI?

RikiB

I’m loving the sound of the Ampeg SGT-DI,I’m putting it in the back of my GK legacy 800. Wondering if those Portaflex amp sound like the SGT-DI and maybe I should sell the GK and DI and get a Pf800 or not.

Not played the pedal, but did a few gigs on PF800. A good amp but not something that really bore any relation to a valve SVT or Flip Top, which the pedal is really designed to achieve. 

I would keep the GK if I had to choice between the two. The GK is a classic tone in its own right.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Not played the pedal, but did a few gigs on PF800. A good amp but not something that really bore any relation to a valve SVT or Flip Top, which the pedal is really designed to achieve. 

I would keep the GK if I had to choice between the two. The GK is a classic tone in its own right.

I have 2 GK Legacy 800 heads. One as a backup that’s never been used (maybe 2 hours tops) so was thinking of selling one and then buying something that sounds like this SGT pedal.

Thanks for saying it doesn’t sound like the SGT though, my fave thing is the B15 setting with SGT on

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RikiB said:

I have 2 GK Legacy 800 heads. One as a backup that’s never been used (maybe 2 hours tops) so was thinking of selling one and then buying something that sounds like this SGT pedal.

Thanks for saying it doesn’t sound like the SGT though, my fave thing is the B15 setting with SGT on

A tech 21 VT Bass head might get you closer than an actual Ampeg. Or buy something like a Line 6 Helix Stomp.

18 hours ago, thodrik said:

I've seen a YT video where a guy from Ampeg tried to recreate an SVT sound with the PF range. He got close for the purposes of the video.

51 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

I've seen a YT video where a guy from Ampeg tried to recreate an SVT sound with the PF range. He got close for the purposes of the video.

It does a good Ampeg clean sound for sure, in the same way that I used to be able to dial in an SVT 450 or B2 heads to kinda sound like a clean SVT, but the lack of overdrive (or any kind of drive whatsoever) meant that I needed a pedal to get the sound I actually wanted. That is probably personal preference though, when I think Ampeg, I still tubes and valve-based overdrive and compression, which is why the SGT is very appealing to me.