Why become a member? ×

New Flatwound Time…

How1

I use La Bella's (recently upped the gauge to FM 109-49) on my P bass and use GHS precisions on my OLP Stingray. Tone up full.

I prefer high tension and the only strings I've found smoother than the La Bella or GHS are Pyramid Golds.

• Like 1

If you want old school jamerson tones with a bit of clank ,labellas or pyramid gold , for a smooth pino vibe then thomastiks, I've got basses with both , I would say the thomastiks are easier to play but I've found they're too low tension for some basses

Edited by spencer.b

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s a guitar isn’t it 😁

May as well be hehe. Tbf, I actually quite like that sound in some situations (Andy Rourke/Smiths or JJ Burnell springs to mind). In isolation it sounds really good, but tends to get lost sometimes.

Paul Simonon said he learned to play bass listening to reggae because he couldn't tell what was the bass and what was the guitar when he listened to The Who (or something to that effect).

Edited by How1

Fender 9050L break in very nicely - a well set up bass and lots of hours playing on these will reward you. Probably true for most flats, I had a set of La Bella 110’s on a Precision for about 7 years and they just got better all the time. The G died first, just lost its tone, but they were really good for a long time. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NAS Bass said:

Fender 9050L break in very nicely - a well set up bass and lots of hours playing on these will reward you.

That's what I originally had on my PJ before I swapped to the chromes. I twisted one though and it was never the same again so decided to try Chromes out of curiousity and stuck with them in the end. I liked the Fenders though. In fact, Fender strings aren't bad at all. I have some nickel rounds somewhere that I got on my p-bass that sounded pretty good. In fact, I need to buy another bass to put them back on 😁

Edited by How1
  • Like 2