Why become a member? ×

Midi Driver Windows PC?

Jazzguitar

I have an old Yamaha QS 300 Synthesiser, which has 5 PIN Midi in/out thru sockets.  I have Cakewalk and a Launchkey Mini, which work fine.  But I want to be able to play and record the Cakewalk instruments  from the Yamaha keyboard.  I have connected a 5 PIN Midi cable from the Midi Out of the keyboard to the Midi in of my AudioBox USB96 Audio interface.  But it will not play the Cakewalk virtual instruments.  Is there a setting somewhere on the Yamaha keyboard that I need to change?  I have a Windows 10 PC.  Thanks, Neville

I've a couple of older Yamaha synth/drum machines with midi, and never had a problem getting them to transmit - IIRC they default to transmit on channel 1, but the transmit/receive settings are fairly straightforward to find.

A quick search pulled up the manual - you can find the instructions on page 190

https://europe.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/4/320974/QS300E1.pdf

Worth checking that you have configured the driver and midi options within cakewalk properly - I've never used cakewalk, but in most DAWs you need to set up the midi IO somewhere in the audio preferences menu.

If you can record midi notes into a midi track then the IO is functioning - if you still have difficulty playing virtual instruments, the issue might lie within individual track routing options or the virtual instrument settings.