Why become a member? ×

Where did I go wrong with my wiring? (volume knob not working)

polvo

This is an update on my previous post:

I had a go at rewiring the bass, and it mainly works ok. But there's a problem with the volume knob - first, it doesn't actually control the volume at all, and second there's a buzzing noise when I touch it. The buzzing suggests a grounding issue but I don't know what... Can anyone help me figure out what's causing the problem?

I more or less followed the wiring diagram below, except for a couple of changes to make the rewiring simpler. Do either of the changes below sound like they would cause the problems with the volume knob?

1. The original wiring had everything grounded to tone, so I left it like that (instead of unsoldering all of those ground wires and resoldering to volume) 

2. The tone pot was wired completely differently and I kept it pretty much as is: 

volume wire goes to the left lug (instead of the middle lug, like in the diagram)

left lug also connects to middle lug

capacitor is on the middle lug (instead of the right lug, like in the diagram) and then grounded to the top of the pot

right lug grounded to the top of the pot

image.png.be8bde366b7842d049edbe1010e3b0b5.png

• 3 weeks later...

Something I found a few days ago when I rewired a previously passive bass to active with new pickups - the pickup negative and the pickup ground need to be definitely connected together. I'd got the pickup ground going to ground and the pickup negative soldered to the volume pot body but the two weren't connected, so one end of the volume wiper was floating and the volume control had no effect. Connecting the two sorted that out.

• Like 1